How often do you use the rear LCD screen?

Vinny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nikon calls it Live View, don't know what other manufacturers call it.

When taking photos of still objects do you use it to get a sharper focus? I believe I've read that you magnify the image in the screen to get the focus as sharp as you can get.

Just wondering if people use it.

I use it sometimes (by the way I shoot Canon) to help focus when I'm using MF... But only for still life shots...

I would never use it for any kind of action shots. When I am taking shots of anything moving (since I'm still learning) I don't even attempt manual mode lol.. I use P mode :)

Basically, live view is (for me at least) only for setting up my shot, setting where I want to spot meter from, helping with MF, and ONLY on still life shots :)

Olympus has it also called live view too I believe. I have only used it to get pictures that are out of my reach. Being only 5'2... I have used it at football games to get pic over taller spectators. Besides that I don't like it at all..... jmho.

MY Nikon D3000 does not have LIVE VIEW
I take all my shots in Manual mode. =]

I mostly use it when i manually focus and on a tripod. digitally zoom in and you can get the focus perfect. Works great when your dealing with a shallow DOF.

For moving objects off tripod, forget it.

I mostly use it when i manually focus and on a tripod. digitally zoom in and you can get the focus perfect. Works great when your dealing with a shallow DOF.

For moving objects off tripod, forget it.
Yep, that's about the only time I ever use it too when shooting stills.

Now and then, on the tripod. Sometimes it makes framing the shot easier for me, and it sort of reminds me of that Bronica I had back in the 70's.

After moving from film, I still find having the display to simply just review pictures is something of an oddity.

I use my D90's live view for movies, that's it.

Never the contrast base autofocus system is to damn buggy on live view and slow as all hell. Also I don't do much manuel focus work so i dunno.

Thanks for the replies!

I ask the question because I took this with the manual focus point in the center of the yellow stamen (?) and it seems like the seed pods around it are not in very sharp focus. It was at 105mm, f5.6, don't know the ISO and I think it was at 1/1000 sec.

I'm hoping it's my eyes (got to get used to not having a split screen or microprism LOL) and not the limitations of the lens/camera ... would be disappointing!

Nikon031.jpg

I hardly ever use mine. On occasion when I need to align a night shot and cant see anything through my view finder, I may use it, but not often.

Never! I can't stand the idea ... I barely even use my screen to review images why use a puny 2.5 LCD when I can come home and put them up on my 21" flat screen?

I use it sometimes in situation such as when camera body is in a position that not possible for me to look at the viewfinder.

i.e. I took this shot when camera was only few inches above the ground.

3483059287_c115d84ca5_o.jpg

Or when I need to use manual focus with camera of tripod.

It is a tool, so I use when it is needed.

Most reactions

Back