how stupid am i

elementguy13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
3198311430_caf0d13624.jpg

its hard coming up with ideas for 365. obviously for me... really hard.

hahahah

Very ;).
Np, you should be proud you are under taking this, I might as well.

It is so hard for me to resist the temptation of comments itching to come out. But, I will. You are not stupid; actually I'm envious. I wish I had time for the 365 thing. Good luck to you.

The only thing I don't understand is the look of concern? It's not as though the razor is backwards or you cut yourself. So, the lighting and look is of heighten concern, cool. But the subject matter looses me. I am tired, so I might just be missing something.

Either way, I do like the lighting and color conversion. Again, good luck on the 365!

-Nick

Any photography assignment is meant to teach two things: project design and technical hurtles. The 365 day assignment has only two possible base applications - available light(usually outdoors) and artifical light(usually indoors). If you want to explore a subject where the weather isn't a hindrance, then obviously you will want to shoot indoors. However, if the weather and changing light of each day is a vital part of the subject, then available light is the way to go.

I've taught adult education photography courses and since they were semester long and not year long classes, I gave out a shorter version of the 365 concept.

I call it a "day shoot" assignment - pick a subject you want to photograph that is stationary. Beginning about 15 minutes before sunrise, take a series of three exposures ( 1 stop under, 1 at meter reading and 1 stop over - shooting in maual mode) at the four points of the compass around the subject. Then once an hour for the rest of the day repeat those twelve shots (until 15 minutes after sunset).

Play the entire series as a slide show on your computer and you will have an epiphany about the technical hurdle - which time of day is best for the look you want from your subject as available light and good exposure is concerned.

To translate this into a 365 assignment, spend some serious meditation on what subject you want to photograph every day for a year, keeping in mind that the light will be different every day and at any chosen hour within each day.

It's a mentally daunting challenge - how to keep yourself motivated to do it every day. But with some careful planning and using the "day shoot assignment" as a essential learning exercise. I think you will be amazed at what you can achieve.

Michael

Most reactions

Back