How To Answer Fauxtog Friend When They Ask If I Like Their Photos

But make sure you don't tell her your sn, or ask the mods to delete this thread before s/he know they were called a fouxtographer.

. . . and change your avatar.

Do not neglect the possibility that she's better than you think she is. Perhaps she's simply doing something you don't quite recognize.

Being new does not equate to bad.

Hello Everyone!
So here's the scenario. I have this friend who has recently decided that she is a photographer too. Her pictures are absolutely awful. Like some of the worst I've ever seen. I'm really worried that she's soon going to ask me what I think of her photos. Especially now since she just did a baby photo shoot and had asked me several times for tips and suggestions before she did it. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I'm not the type of person that can lie (even little white lies). I don't think I can even use the sandwich technique (where you start with a compliment, give a critique, and then end with another compliment). I can't find anything good about her pictures. Everything is all wrong. Composition, lighting, editing, focus.
If she were to ask me, how can I answer her while sparing her feelings and maintain the friendship?

In similar situations, from photography to cooking, I have had great luck with "You've done it again!" They always take it as a compliment, and I've been completely :02.47-tranquillity: truthful.

I bet that's a first for you John. :biglaugh:

To set the record straight, This part I totally agree with.....
This is basic instructional technique. Don't tell the person what they've done wrong, simply tell them what they can [in your opinion] do to improve them.

This part is fluff.....
In other words, you wouldn't say, "Your horizon's all cockeyed." rather, you'd say, "If you were to level the image in post, it would have a much more natural appearance." If (when?) she asks if you like the pictures, answer with something like, "You're off to a good start."

If the horizon is off, IT'S OFF! Nothing wrong pointing that out emphatically.

How To Answer Fauxtog Friend When They Ask If I Like Their Photos
Honesty is always the best policy. Conveying that truth in a constructive way is an art form.

Last edited:
As others have recommended - refer her to this site and tell her she can get some unbiased feedback on her photos here. You could explain that you are uncomfortable giving feedback to close friends. If there is anything she did good in the photos point it out. If you both like taking the same type of photos maybe you could suggest that the two of you spend a day together working on photography and you can both give pointers to each other without it feeling like you're sitting there going "you did this and this and that wrong". It would be more like just hanging out with a friend doing something you both enjoy and she may be able to give you some pointers as well.

Hello Everyone!
So here's the scenario. I have this friend who has recently decided that she is a photographer too. Her pictures are absolutely awful. Like some of the worst I've ever seen. I'm really worried that she's soon going to ask me what I think of her photos. Especially now since she just did a baby photo shoot and had asked me several times for tips and suggestions before she did it. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I'm not the type of person that can lie (even little white lies). I don't think I can even use the sandwich technique (where you start with a compliment, give a critique, and then end with another compliment). I can't find anything good about her pictures. Everything is all wrong. Composition, lighting, editing, focus.
If she were to ask me, how can I answer her while sparing her feelings and maintain the friendship?

Actually believe it or not, make a sandwich.

Ok, might sound a bit odd, but first start out with something positive - even if it's just about the subject matter, then in the middle pick on suggestion you think will improve her photography most, then finish again with something positive.

I'm POSITIVE you're an eediot!

I'm POSITIVE you're an eediot!

So, we reviewed your resume and even though we really think you are marvelous were going to go in a slightly different direction. It's not that we don't think you'd make a wonderful motivational speaker, well.. it's just.. well we just don't think your quite the right fit for our organization, you understand...

Lol

That's not the first time I've heard that.

Yes, I do understand.

Constructive honesty is all well and good if you're teaching or for guys or maybe with a bff but most women friendships don't work that way. Rule of thumb is listen, bite your tongue or say something supportive and pour some wine.

Constructive honesty is all well and good if you're teaching or for guys or maybe with a bff but most women friendships don't work that way. Rule of thumb is listen, bite your tongue or say something supportive and pour some wine.

Not being a woman, but being surrounded by women, I think that is very good advice. Just from observation.

Nothing breeds friendship like thinking you are better than they are.

I'd say get off your high horse and be a good friend first and a photographer second.

Not being a woman, but being surrounded by women, I think that is very good advice. Just from observation.

These women who surround you, are they carrying knives?

Nothing breeds friendship like thinking you are better than they are.
I'd say get off your high horse and be a good friend first and a photographer second.

I try not to lie to friends

These women who surround you, are they carrying knives?

No, but words can be more damaging than any knife will be. So one learns to be aware of the armaments available. ;)

Most reactions

Back