How to get a white background this colour?

mrwardoser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have recently purchased the Lastolite Superwhite Vinyl background.

Lastolite Superwhite Vinyl Background (7761) - Warehouse Express

Being pure white I wondered if is possible for me to get a nice creamy yellow coloured background like this in the link below;

Motel Imogen Dress - Animal - Motel Rocks

I use bowen heads and I was thinking if I used a coloured filter over the lights and aimed it at the backdrop that would work, but would this make everything else on the photo that colour too? Is there a way to just give the background this colour.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

The background you linked to actually is yellow. She's standing so close to it that it couldn't possibly be gelled.

What you'd do if you wanted to color your bg is aim a gelled light at it so that it's trained on the bg an not the subject. This is a little easier with a gray bg.

Here's what I think it actually is Seamless Background Paper

#13, banana...banana, as in the flesh of the banana, not the outside color.

As said above, she's standing on a seamless paper roll, as shown by the real shadows she's casting....set up the above paper and you're golden.

Here's what I think it actually is Seamless Background Paper

#13, banana...banana, as in the flesh of the banana, not the outside color.

As said above, she's standing on a seamless paper roll, as shown by the real shadows she's casting....set up the above paper and you're golden.

LITERALLY

You could gel a flash aimed just at the background and flagged to prevent spill on the subject. You could also accomplish this fairly easily in post, although if you have a large volume of images, it will be quite time consuming.

With the subject this close to the background I think it would be pretty much impossible to gel from the front, no matter how many flags you had.

Simple move you subject away from the back ground. Then you will have the separation needed to light the background and subject individually. All you need is more space.

you will have to experiment with lighting you subject, so it does not spill onto the background washing out your color.

The whole idea behind the original photos is to have the model's own background shadow cast onto the paper, to "anchor" her and to also give a 3-Dimensional appearance in simple catalog photography. There is no easier way to shoot this type of shot than to put up and unroll a #13 banana background seamless and simply SHOOT THE PHOTOS so the shadow is there, in real life...

Most reactions

Back