How to get rid of green glows...?

msvg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if any of you have the same problem I do. Sometimes when I take night photography, I get this green glow show up.

Ex:

3637434606_fe089eec4a.jpg

Is there anyway to avoid that?

That looks to be a lens flare, there are different routes to try and I'd start with the cheapest being a simple UV filter. If that doesn't work you can always buy a lens hood

That looks to be a lens flare, there are different routes to try and I'd start with the cheapest being a simple UV filter. If that doesn't work you can always buy a lens hood

That should be "the cheapest being to remove the UV filter".

Adding a filter of any kind will always increase flare problems. A lens hood can help when the light source causing the flare in outside of the frame. In this case, though, the "evil" light source is in the picture so a hood wouldn't be of any help.

If you have a filter in front of your lens, remove it. That should reduce the amount of the lens flare.

Lenses are not create equal, some of them has better control on lens flare than the others.

As for the lens hood, it's a little tough in this situation being the light source was in the flame. So the lens flare will shows up with or without hood.

I'll be honest I've been told many times that if there is lens flare that I should remove my filter, but sometimes putting on a UV or ND filter has helped.

I wasn't really thinking though about the hood =\ I should have known better D=

You might try a different white balance setting since you're getting a 'green glow' pretty much everywhere, in addition to the lens flare.

You might try a different white balance setting since you're getting a 'green glow' pretty much everywhere, in addition to the lens flare.

QFT. Adding some magenta tint will likely help matters.

Yea I think he means the white balance is off. If you sot in RAW it would be easier to fix in PP. Try to play around with it in lightroom.

Green is usually indicative of flourescent light, which the city lights are showing. So you may try setting it for flourescent and, depending on how many settings you have in your camera play with the others. The other two lower lights are showing up like incandescents.

Sheesh, people. :lol:

I actually thought green was tungsten... I think flourescants are usually more blue, but whatever the case...

Rule #1 in Night Photography - NO EXCEPTIONS - shoot RAW and change color balancing in post processing.

Seriously... NO exceptions. You shoot RAW or you go home.

The problem with non-RAW is many-fold...

1. Whatever picture you take at night is going to get PUMMELED with whatever the dominant light of choice is, and there's essentially no way to really fix it.
2. There tends to be a variety of colors of light and the camera gets massively confused OR if you pick one particular white balance it may skew the image against other light sources.

I should put up the image I took years back that forced me to learn this, but here is a recent example of one of my night-time pictures... the first time I took this I took it in JPEG and it was horrific and unfixable.

(I hope you don't mind my posting a pic of mine in your thread)

Boston%20Early%20Evening%20and%20Night%20-%20Financial%20District%20Area%20-%20043%20TPF.jpg

I'm a night photography addict, so let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.

Start with properly white balancing. Use other avenues in PS after the fact if necessary.

This greenish color is probably a mix of flourescent and some other light type--could be a lot of things in those overhead cans. Shooting a grey card would have helped here. Or simply playing with the balance using the highlight eyedropper in Levels....our shooter didn't shoot raw, may not have that option, so I'm suggesting things that can still help NOW.
Andrew Boyd
TheDiscerningPhotographer.com

I was wondering if any of you have the same problem I do. Sometimes when I take night photography, I get this green glow show up.

Is there anyway to avoid that?

Fix in post process. Shoot a gray card when there is mixed lighting. Flourescent from inside the building and incandesant from outside.

Most reactions

Back