How to get this background?

riotgrl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think I'm qualified to post in here, :) (beyond the basics). I have a Nikon D40 and take photographs almost entirely for business. I know how to use all the functions, and generally shoot in manual mode, and we have a whole professional lighting set up with muslin background. BUT we cannot figure out how to get backgrounds in our pictures like this-
4u9zb9.jpg

(not my picture)

instead of like this-
20gefbp.jpg

where you can see the stupid crinkly background (my picture)!:x

I'm starting to think you have to go to RAW which I know NOTHING about, am hoping its something really simple though :er: If anyone knows, please tell me! And then I'll want to know how I can learn too. Thanks so much in advance!!!

Well first off, the example photo is shot on a seamless background...probably paper. That would take care of your crinkly backdrop.
Also, if you light the background with a separate background light (or two)...you can blow it right out to white.

Also, your white balance looks to be off. Shooting RAW will allow you to adjust the WB on the computer rather than having to worry about it during the shoot.

Thank you! So we need to look into getting paper I guess and some background lights. Are those little lights? What should I look for when shopping online and where do I get them?

What about this shot?
33tp6dh.jpg

Wondering how they have no background whatsoever...we need to shoot some furniture outside, and would like to edit it to look like this. Do I need to shoot in RAW? Thanks!

Background lights are just lights that you point at the background...they could be anything...but you should use the same type of lighting that you are shooting your subject with.

The chair shot looks like it's had the background removed is post production (Photoshop etc). With a simple subject like that, it's actually pretty easy if you know how. If this is your final goal, then you don't really have to worry about seamless paper or background lights. Just make sure you shoot it against a background that contrasts with the subject. Some might use a chromakey background for this (typically a solid green or blue background).

so no need for RAW to get an image like that in photoshop?

what about gimp or gimp easy version? we have downloaded it, but it's really hard to use, so i haven't really learned much yet. could that program accomplish a picture like the furniture one? thanks

I've got exactly this effect with a paper background, and two lights - one reflected off an umbrella to about 75 degrees to the subjects right and one slightly more powerful light in a softbox more to the front left (see where the shadow is in that picture above above). That's how I did it - there may be many other ways too!

so no need for RAW to get an image like that in photoshop?
I think it's almost always a good idea to shoot in RAW. If you don't know anything about it, then now would be a good time to learn ;)

The things you are trying to do aren't too complicated but they do require a bit of knowledge of photography and lighting as well as some basic skill in digital photo editing.

I think it would be best to 'get back to basics' and do some reading & learning before trying to tackle this specific problem.

You get that background with skill. What type of business are you in that you do photography strictly for business while at the same time lacking almost beginner skills?

Sorry for being somewhat of a jerk but this just doesn't make sense to me. It's like working as a graphic designer just because you own Illustrator.

On another note if your business is selling stuff on eBay just get yourself a light tent and learn how to do clipping paths with Photoshop. It's pretty easy once you figure out how the pen tool works. Google it or buy a book then just practice.

Blowing out the background with strong white light and the background can be for all intents and purpose any colour between pure white to pure black... on the picture it will always be pure white.

Alleh, I don't know it must be luck because we've been doing it for years very successfully!! :) But more likely God's blessing on our family business. Light tents won't do for us, too small. The vase was an example, but we generally sell larger items.

Thanks fiendish and Jerry, we are going to try both of those right off, we are taking pictures now.

I will take your advice Mike and look around in basics. Thanks for answering this specifically, I really am just aimed at improving these specific photo issues in a timely way.

I did not know that about blowing out background with bright light. We definitely need to buy several more lights. The paper is already on it's way, I can't wait.

You've all been very helpful!!!

and we shot in RAW today and am working on layers in GIMP. Guess I just needed someone to tell me DO IT! Thanks again!!

Good to hear of your progress...

FYI a 4' cube light tent is available to buy or you can make one with tubing and sheets for larger :)

Cheers, Don

Ps. Please post some New images of your results and the lighting set up...

Sorry for being somewhat of a jerk but this just doesn't make sense to me. It's like working as a graphic designer just because you own Illustrator.

im sorry to be a jerk too but i agree 100% lol. Even though I do understand your side--trying to learn. Which is positive!

What type of business are you in that you do photography strictly for business while at the same time lacking almost beginner skills?

Obviously, at least to me, the "business" of selling objects, not photo's.

An award winning photo is not necessary to sell a product, it just helps.

Riotgrl has enough curiousity to post here and is willing to learn.

For anyone doing that in a polite manner it should not be unreasonable to receive some helpful hints without the attitude.

Sorry for being somewhat of a jerk

Hmmm....

Cheers, Don

Don, are you referring to pvc and simple white bed sheets? (not to get off topic just thought it mightbe helpful to the op)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back