How to make such portrait lightning?

NoobForPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Please look at this video and tell me your opinion:

1. how many lights would you use to achieve similar results?
2. what kind of lights?
3. where would the position of these lights be?
4. from scale 0 to 10, which light would have which intensity?
5. what type of camera?
6. what type of lense?
7. does room size matter?

Thank you in advance to everyone who responds

Search single light. Single light with reflector. Key and fill lighting.

Those images can be accomplished with any three of the methods mentioned and more.

Camera type can be done from cellphone to large format.
Most lenses between 40-100mm would be able to do these.
Yes room size can matter. Search why.

P.S. Not going to hand feed you on your first post. You should do more work than I do in order to learn something.

You should learn how to light subjects properly than to just try to copy what you see. Without understanding how what you see worked to begin with, you won't learn much very fast.

Search single light. Single light with reflector. Key and fill lighting.

Those images can be accomplished with any three of the methods mentioned and more.

Camera type can be done from cellphone to large format.
Most lenses between 40-100mm would be able to do these.
Yes room size can matter. Search why.

P.S. Not going to hand feed you on your first post. You should do more work than I do in order to learn something.
thank you for the practical information. I will google why room size matters

Please look at this video and tell me your opinion:

1. how many lights would you use to achieve similar results?
2. what kind of lights?
3. where would the position of these lights be?
4. from scale 0 to 10, which light would have which intensity?
5. what type of camera?
6. what type of lense?
7. does room size matter?

Thank you in advance to everyone who responds

Go ahead and try to copy...the attempt alone will teach you volumes!

I attempted to do it with some ikea lights... one blueish in the front and one yellowish in the back

Any advice?
image 2.png

I hope my patients trust me and I don't look like an 18 year old child in these videos.

I wish I was as charismatic as Clinton and had his accent... lol

My room is very small and this is the furtherst I can put my camera away from me. It is touching the wall literally.

If I go more back, the background is not blurred anymore then as the camera refocuses on my face.

I am using Canon EOS 200D Digitale Spiegelreflexkamera (24,2 Megapixel,
and
Canon EF-S 24 mm 1:2.8 STM Objektiv schwarz

The image is somewhat blurry and low resolution because it is a screenshot from the live remote view window and this website was giving me errors when uploading higher resolution images.

So guys, any suggestions?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
FWIW, if you notice Clintons face is lit from the side. That gives definition to his features. So your key light should be coming from the side with a much weaker fill light on the other side. The shadows in his pic tell as much of the story as the lit parts.

You need to diffuse everything with a soft box or at least bounce it off a white board.

In your example your face is very flat, too much light at the wrong angle. The top light on your hair is good and helps pop it from the background. Minimize the dark circles under your eyes with angle of light.

Good luck!

Sorry to say this, but if the goal is too look less childish and more professional, I think the lighting is a minor aspect. The way the clothes fit, the chair apparently too low for the table, and even facial expression are all screaming "unprofessional". (I'm judging by the still shot. I don't see a video)

"Please be reminded that political comments are not allowed in public threads. The video in the OP does feature a politician, yes, but it is not a political video, rather an ad for Master Class. If you don't like this politician, then don't watch the video and move onto the next thread. If you do like him, go ahead and watch if you feel like it. If you then comment, be sure to only comment on the question about lighting that was asked by the OP. Leave your personal feelings about him out of your posts."

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, if you notice Clintons face is lit from the side. That gives definition to his features. So your key light should be coming from the side with a much weaker fill light on the other side. The shadows in his pic tell as much of the story as the lit parts.

You need to diffuse everything with a soft box or at least bounce it off a white board.

In your example your face is very flat, too much light at the wrong angle. The top light on your hair is good and helps pop it from the background. Minimize the dark circles under your eyes with angle of light.

Good luck!
Wow! I am soooo thankful!

You guys are amazing!

I often ask things in forums online when I try to learn something and very often I get answers that just leave one feeling miserable.

This was so direct and honest I really learned a lot.

I will implement what you guys proposed and then I will share the results.

Is there anyway to donate to this forum?

"Please be reminded that political comments are not allowed in public threads. The video in the OP does feature a politician, yes, but it is not a political video, rather an ad for Master Class. If you don't like this politician, then don't watch the video and move onto the next thread. If you do like him, go ahead and watch if you feel like it. If you then comment, be sure to only comment on the question about lighting that was asked by the OP. Leave your personal feelings about him out of your posts."
Fair enough, my apologies to the the OP, and you.

2 eminem.png

Another question:

In this photo I can tell there is a white light from the side
but then this shinny edges seem to be really hard to achieve.
no matter how many lamps and how powerful they are behind me, I cannot get these shinny edges. ( I don't know how to call it)

1. I assume the light has to be extremely powerful and focused on the subject to achieve that? Right?
2. Does it always require a weak front light in comparison to the back light? In other words, can this be achieved by illuminating the face decently and still having that effect?

It would be amazing if you could post a link of what kind of light I should order for this

Most reactions

New Topics

Back