How to start??

daya007magic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have bought new Nikon d5100 with 18-55 and additional lens 55-300. I'm new to DSLR and would like to learn some basic things on how to start with it. How do I start with??

Please help me guys.
Comments are highly appreciated.

The single most important thing that you can do (and 99% of new camera owners DON'T do) is read and understand your camera's manual!

Your camera came with a Quick Start quide, and the entire user's manual is a PDF file on the disc that came with the camera. You'll need to read both and it's advisable to keep the complete user's manual PDF handy.

You can learn about basic digital photography concepts and terminology here - Learn Photography Concepts

For some of the basic artistic aspects of doing photography look here - 10 Top Photography Composition Rules | Photography Mad

Thanks tirediron and KMH.
I will go through the manual once I get my delivery. But I heard manual is too long to go through, hence people avoid it and start using it directly.

I love photography, so I ordered DSLR. Previously I used to use digital camera. Sony cybershot.

i have a cannon and read the whole manual it is not that long I read my the 1st day in about 1.5 hrs I had to look up words so if you know the terms it is a short read I keep it with me in my gear bag all the time for ref.

Hello guys,

I have bought new Nikon d5100 with 18-55 and additional lens 55-300. I'm new to DSLR and would like to learn some basic things on how to start with it. How do I start with??

Please help me guys.
Comments are highly appreciated.

I bought EXACTLY the same package except I am guessing your 55-300 is manual not auto focus(I needed that because my long visiion is crap and manual focus would not work for me - I need the auto!).

I have only really gotten serious in the last couple weeks although I have played around with it on and off for awhile.

I have tried reading the manual but it's 250 pages and not that well written. There is an assumption that you can read and absorb some of the terms immediately and if you are like me I had no idea what an f/stop or aperture setting was (heck I only learnt those yesterday!).

I've just been focussing on one type of shot at a time e.g. sunrises, moon, lightbox photos and using some of the easier controls and lots of web info to get my bearings.

Considering I'm a newbie I feel OK about the shots so far. I just use it constantly and look for advice everywhere and apply it as well as reading the manual a little more each day once I start to understand and apply some of the concepts. For example playing with and understanding white balance is next on my list as soon as I master this moon shot that has been bugging me - hopefully tonight!

Heres some of the stuff I have just shot on auto over time and used Picasa to crop and upload. Like I said I have been a lot more active over the last couple weeks.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100169458704234213719

Would be interested to see how we progress:)

Cheers

EDIT Please note I am not saying DON'T read the manual lol I AM saying to work through it a section at a time and agree with KMH but I learn differently and need to apply practical application to each piece of theory I digest. We all learn differently and for some sitting down and trying digest large chunks of a manual does not work for all of us.

Last edited:
You heard wrong. The manual is not to long to go through.
It's OK to use the camera right away, but the camera is a tool and the user's manual tells you about every camera control, feature, and function your new camera and lens (tool) has. It's likely you've not used any consumer electronics as complicated to use as your new camera will be, unless you leave it in AUTO mode all the time.

You can bet advanced amateur and professional photographers read their user's manuals.

You don't need to read the entire manual at one sitting, but you need to read it all the first few days you have the camera. Actually you need to read the manual several times because no one is able to remember that is in it after just one read. A key to using the manual is becoming familiar with how it is organized so you can look up stuff up easier.

Since it's a user's manual it's not a fun read, but a dry read. The first part of the manual shows you how all the external camera controls, ports, switches, button, etc are all laid out.

Once you get your camera you'll need to charge the battery. Start reading the manual and finding the external controls while the battery charges. When you read the manual, have your camera right there so you can look at it as you read.

Pic_chick- thank you very much for your comment. I will start with the manual once the receive it. I herd it would be difficult to understand without knowing the terms. But still I will start with it and will clear my doubts with you guys.

I don't know what is dx and fx? There are many such terms which I'm not aware of.

Thanks.

Devilniz- your comment boosted my confidence. 😜thanks.
I will start with manual and will take help of Internet to understand the terms. Even I'm not aware if terms like fstop, what happens when f is more etc etc. this things are difficult to absorb bug interesting.

Can you help me with few of the basic terms which would be helpful to me?

Thanks,

Can contact me

Www.facebook.com/dayanand.sangoli

Thanks tirediron and KMH.
I will go through the manual once I get my delivery. But I heard manual is too long to go through, hence people avoid it and start using it directly.

I love photography, so I ordered DSLR. Previously I used to use digital camera. Sony cybershot.

People avoid it because they are lazy. Not because its too long....

Check out Youtube tutorials on your camera. Learn all the functions. Make a ton of mistakes and then learn from them.

@KHM- thank you very much. I will surely read the manual which is very important.

Jaikalona-- thanks. Will definitely go through the manual and also will take help for youtube.

I wouldn't try to read the entire manual through in one setting. It's too much info for a beginner. What I would suggest is to definitely read it, but to sit with your camera in your lap as you read it and for everything you read you do with your camera. The manual says, "Turn on the camera by switching x" then do it. Take your time and read the manual, but only in little chunks with you camera. Think of it as a semester in school. Professors don't throw everything at you in one setting. They teach you then give you assignments to try it out. Do the same and soon you will be very familiar with your camera! Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Most reactions

Back