how wide for interior

budskiphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so one of my automotive clients is trying to sell his house and isnt happy with the photos that his realitor took so he gave me a call. This is my first time trying this and I know a wide angle lens is a must, but how wide?

12/14/20 mm is good but it really depends on the lens and how much distortion it has. Being inside you'll need fast too so $700 and up should get you a decent lens.

The best lens to use is a tilt/shift lens. They run about $2000.

Sigma 10-20mm on a crop body does pretty well for inside.

@KmH - I wouldn't say you need fast glass because nothing is moving, and tripods are cheaper than fast lenses.

I second the Sigma 10-20mm I am a Realtor and its great for interior shots, however thats not the reason I bought the lens

I dont have the Sigma 10-20mm, but I have a friend who loves his. Very wide and sharp.

I would imagine that indoor shots would have no problems using a tripod, so I dont think that speed is a necessary feature?

Also, you wouldn't really want to go using a fast lens wide open to show off an interior anyway...

I second the Sigma 10-20mm I am a Realtor and its great for interior shots, however thats not the reason I bought the lens

Hmm got to thinking, I could write this lens off on my taxes!! I just need to edit my reasoning of use.

Agree with the speed question. Not necessarily agree with the super wide angle lens for RE photos.

First I would want to see the disappointing shots and know why they are so. Yes, wide angles show more of a room in one shot but they also make the rooms totally different from reality. Before I went and bought a lens I would want to know exactly what the problem is.

First I would want to see the disappointing shots and know why they are so.

I cannot speak for the pictures in question, but daily I see horrible photos that a Realtor took, There are some horrible pictures they put on MLS. I think I shot some at about 15mm, 10mm almost gives a deceiving look, making the rooms bigger than they are.

Agreed. I barely look at photos of properties. The last house I sold, I didn't even recognized it when I looked for the listing online :lmao:

trust me, its bad...
4336357403_765383f361_o.jpg

im sure I could do better with my current lenses, but I see this as a possible new market for me so why not dive in and over deliver? I plan on renting some glass this week to try it out, needless to say I can screw up pretty bad and still top this!

17-40mm f/4.0L phenomenal lens for indoors, 17mm is an awesome look and you can adjust it so you dont distort the room since it zooms to 40mm! Love mine for indoors capturing rooms...

00GgUd-30183784.jpg

Canon | EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens | 8806A002 | B&H Photo Video

A steal at $729.00 and also the 4L is still good enough with any kind of decently let room... The 5D MKII has virtually no noise though so I am judging from that body.

The picture is not the greatest quality, but it seems to show what the room offers fairly well. The pictures dont sell the homes, it just gives the buyer a good idea, That picture looks alot better than alot I have seen. It might be a good idea trying to take Listing pictures, but I most Realtors snap the pictures at the listing.

A steal at $729.00

Thats excessive. You dont need an L series for small MLS pictures. I think a basic 18-55 IS would do just fine.

Good to great pictures may not sell the home to the buyer but perhaps they could sell the realtor to the seller???

The picture is not the greatest quality, but it seems to show what the room offers fairly well. The pictures dont sell the homes, it just gives the buyer a good idea, That picture looks alot better than alot I have seen. It might be a good idea trying to take Listing pictures, but I most Realtors snap the pictures at the listing.

A steal at $729.00

Thats excessive. You dont need an L series for small MLS pictures. I think a basic 18-55 IS would do just fine.

The truth.
Although, at times 18mm on a crop body is not wide enough for interiors, maybe the 17-85 IS is a (slightly) better option here.

Most reactions

Back