How!!!???

Here we go again!

An artist who uses digital photography has the same responsibility as any other artist working in his choice of media. If he can invoke the intended response in the viewer, then he has succeeded. If not, he has failed.

One way to know the difference is to simply ask yourself; "Is this about the intended response or is it mostly about the medium? If your answer is; "Gosh! I can't overlook his heavy-handed and amateurish handling of the medium in order to understand why he made this image.", then you know it's mostly about the technique and not about the intended impression. (buzzzzz) FAIL

(edit) The photographer whose work was referenced has done quite well, although he is not consistent throughout his entire portfolio. I think it would show better if it was a little more homogeneous.

Last edited:
I personally like vanilla ice cream and I can't understand anyone who thinks chocolate is real ice cream. Then again there are those that are really off the wall that like Chunky Monkey. I went on a tour of Ben & Jerry's in Vermont and had such sensory overload I staggered out the door and fell on the ground.

I remember the people who called The Beatles "hippies"...
I still do!!!! :p

I think this guy has an interesting approach, BUT I don't think he's quite mastered his craft yet -- a lot of it still looks like botched tonemapping. The one's that look like an oil painting are quite successful (kid with boat for example).

A couple of things...contrasting ones at that!

@Evertking , you seem to be really focused on finding an alternative processing style for your work. Your growth is phenomenal as far as posing, light, etc, and I think sometimes that your attempts to seek the processing silver bullet inhibit rather than improve your work. I think you're better off looking at a lot of different portfolios for ideas, and then figuring out what process you want to use for your work. I think that you were headed down a really interesting path with color grading and LUT. This person's work seems completely different than the path you've been pursuing so far.

My other point is that so often, we are looking for technical perfection around here...especially from people who are trying to learn, and I think that a lot of that is really valuable. But...when I think of some of the people who post the most "acclaimed" work here, they break a lot of the "rules". They use super shallow DOF, they color-grade, they pose differently than the book says you should, etc...

The photographer referenced in this thread has absolutely no desire to make things look real. She/he has a pretty clear vision of what she wants. Whimsical, painting-like, plastic-ly, whatever you want to say about their work -- it's intentional and creative, and clearly they have a market for it (as they offer workshops on their techniques across the country...). I think if someone were painting/drawing/whatever portraits like these, they would be acknowledged for that. Because the image flows through layers of glass and hits a sensor plane first, I think we are often too quick judge it, and some of us take personal offense because our own sensibilities are so different.

When I first saw the work the word kitsch immediately came to mind.
No doubt, branding visual art as "kitsch" is generally pejorative, because it implies that the work in question is gaudy, or serves a solely ornamental and decorative purpose rather than amounting to a work of true artistic merit.
If it sells - that's great for the seller and ya gotta figure the buyers are pleased too - at least for some period of time.

I think his pics look amazing....he's definitely doing some serious photo manipulation, tone mapping, increased sharpness in some parts of the image along with painting areas in the background in some pics too.....I know a local guy here in St. Louis who does this, he will take a pic of a brick building for example then he goes in and paints certain areas of the digital image and would go brick by brick in such a way that the end results were outstanding. Looks nothing like the original image but if that's your thing and some people seem to really love the outcome.

Judas!!!!!!!!!! That is the harshest language I bet I can use!!! [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]but I need a photo shop 101 class! I am very good at computers, but I need a idiots guide to anything beyond the basic crop, exposure and basic tools! Half those shapes, droppers and other cool little looking icons I am lost on! And layers lol——-lol, ya I need help with it all! I have to throw out a million pics so I can rely on the fact that by some miracle “it all just worked out” on that one!!!!! Let me know if there is one one here!!! Because I need to read it!

And same goes for the Nikon 70-300mm lens and fast motion sports pics!!! Cause mine suck ‍♀️[emoji1304]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back