What's new

How's the composition?

kamelean

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 26, 2011
Messages
184
Reaction score
14
Location
Kentucky
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got a new pistol today, and decided to take a shot of it. Wifey was asleep, so I couldn't go into the bedroom to get a different colored sheet for the background. So please excuse the purple sheet.


Judge by kamelean, on Flickr

For any interested parties, this is a Taurus Judge Public Defender Poly. Shoots 410 shotshells and 45 Colt. It's an absolute blast to shoot.
 
.410 for home use, nice. Composition is ok but not thrilling.
 
What type of composition are you looking for? It seems like the type of composition here is to sell the pistol, lol. I haven't got into into gun photography much though.
 
I would have put .45 colt shells out also and used a shot shell rather than a pen to prop the gun.
 
I think with white background works better, and the pen is a litter fail.
 
Ok, so I re-shot it to include a target that I shot today. I thought that this would make for a more interesting photo. Opinions?


Judge on target by kamelean, on Flickr
 
better composition. How many yards for that group, 7?
 
Much better, well done :)
 
Just a fun one while I was shooting last night. On the left is my old concealed carry piece. I went from carrying one of the smallest guns on the market to one of the largest. Background is my COD:MW3 T-shirt.


Old and New by kamelean, on Flickr
 
I like the second shot. How do you like the poly judge? Do you carry it? I had some fun at the range today.
 
It looks like you have white balance issues. Lots of magenta. The black parts of the gun are blending into the black backgrounds. More interesting lighting could do wonders with these.
 
I like the second shot. How do you like the poly judge? Do you carry it? I had some fun at the range today.

I carry it in a paddle holster with my shirt pulled over it. As far as shooting it, the recoil is punishing. I'll never be accused of not having enough gun again.
 
It looks like you have white balance issues. Lots of magenta. The black parts of the gun are blending into the black backgrounds. More interesting lighting could do wonders with these.

I'm still kind of a beginner at this thing. How should I go about correcting the WB? I shoot a Canon T3.
 
It looks like you have white balance issues. Lots of magenta. The black parts of the gun are blending into the black backgrounds. More interesting lighting could do wonders with these.

I'm still kind of a beginner at this thing. How should I go about correcting the WB? I shoot a Canon T3.
Check your manual for the exact steps, but this is the basics of it:



Calibrated gray cards are the standard to use for this, rather than a piece of white paper, which can have it's own slight color variations. I use one of these:

Amazon.com: PhotoVision 14" Pocket One-Shot Digital Calibration Target with DVD, Collapsible Disc Exposure Aid for Digital Cameras: Camera & Photo

It can be corrected after the fact in post processing too, depending on the software you use for that sort of thing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom