sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Don't get to go out and shoot my little birdies much these days. But over the past few weeks, I've gotten a little time in my backyard watching the ever-entertaining hummingbirds. Entertaining, that is, unless you start trying to take their pictures--then it's just frustrating! Evasive little buggers. :D

Anyway, these are shots from the last two days. There's been more activity around the feeders as they start to store up energy for migration.

1. Male Ruby-Throated (they are ALL Ruby-throated, it's pretty much the only species we get here)
hummer_Aug1_6533web.jpg

2. Immature male with a Punk Hairdo.
imm_male_RTH_6469web.jpg

3. Flight of the Hummer
RTH_6512web.jpg

4. Immature male starting to show its "true colors"
imm_male_RTH_6804web.jpg

5. Immature male reaching for flowers
RTH_6868web.jpg

RTH_6972web.jpg

7. Hummer Dance
This one is probably my favorite, just because of its little bitty feet hovering over the vine.
imm_male_RTH_6932web.jpg

And then, there's the one that got away. *ALMOST* had a spectacular shot--alas, hummers move faster than AF systems. Blast!!
RTH_6513web.jpg

As always, C&C, general comments and witty banter are all appreciated here!

Attachments

• RTH_peeing_6445web.jpg
    RTH_peeing_6445web.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 171
  • imm_male_RTH_6798web.jpg
    imm_male_RTH_6798web.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 150
  • imm_male_RTH_6841web.jpg
    imm_male_RTH_6841web.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 143
GREAT set Sharon; nice tongue action in the first, but the standout is the one of him going after the bug; not technically perfect, but unique enough to make that of no consequence.

Nice. :clap::clap:

The thumbnail for number 8 reminds me of a cartoon I saw once - a unicorn with a rainbow coming out of it's, well, you get the idea. :eek:

GREAT set Sharon; nice tongue action in the first, but the standout is the one of him going after the bug; not technically perfect, but unique enough to make that of no consequence.

Thanks John! I was really, really bummed that I didn't get focus on that one with the bug!

The thumbnail for number 8 reminds me of a cartoon I saw once - a unicorn with a rainbow coming out of it's, well, you get the idea. :eek:

OH, yeah, THAT one! :lol:
I really meant to put that one up in the post. I have a Great Blue Heron pooping mid-flight, plus a few of Ospreys and hawks...but that was my first peeing hummer! :p

Even though the focus is off, I had no problem figuring out what was going on with it. Heck, if I'd taken them, they'd all be OOF.

OH, yeah, THAT one! :lol:
I really meant to put that one up in the post. I have a Great Blue Heron pooping mid-flight, plus a few of Ospreys and hawks...but that was my first peeing hummer! :p
Must have been chasing & eating Japanese Beetles, since they are so iridescent.

No, I meant the one with the bug. But the other is a wall hanger, too.

Interesting assortment of unconventionally different and appealing locations and bird 'poses'. And wow---if that prey insect and the bird had been in good focus, ohmygosh...one can dream!

Great set Sharon. All are great. What can I say. The one with the bug

Stunning set Sharon, love #1 and the one that you ALMOST had, and love just about every other photograph in this thread. :)

Excellent captures - well taken.

Very nice Sharon! I'd love to have a go at capturing these guys but we dont have them in Scotland. Mibbies I need to find a zoo! Lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back