I Adopted a Cat

Congrats on rescuing! She'll warm up to you once she figures out that one, you're warm - and two, you control the food. Once she does decide to come out of hiding, you can take more pictures to show off her lovely looking coat!

So, how's she doing now, has she come out of hiding yet?

I haven't seen evidence of her since Monday. On Monday I went over to some freinds for a few hours. On my return I noticed that the tuna that had been left out was consumed and the litter box had been used. Nothing, absolutely nothing, for the last two days. I am worried. Has she found an escape that I am not aware of? That in itself is a bit off putting if true. I don't believe there is anyway she could have bolted in normal circumstances. Again, I am worried and not feeling too well.

I've taken some of the advice and left out tuna, half and half, Temptaions treats, also a bit of cheese, a few toys. What else?

Did I mention that I am worried? What else can I do? Wait a couple of more days? This part of the acclimation is not funny, at all.

Thanks for your concerns BlackSheep.

kundalini said:
I haven't seen evidence of her since Monday. On Monday I went over to some freinds for a few hours. On my return I noticed that the tuna that had been left out was consumed and the litter box had been used. Nothing, absolutely nothing, for the last two days. I am worried. Has she found an escape that I am not aware of? That in itself is a bit off putting if true. I don't believe there is anyway she could have bolted in normal circumstances. Again, I am worried and not feeling too well.

I've taken some of the advice and left out tuna, half and half, Temptaions treats, also a bit of cheese, a few toys. What else?

Did I mention that I am worried? What else can I do? Wait a couple of more days? This part of the acclimation is not funny, at all.

How long has it been?

I had a cat that my ex-boyfriend catnapped and let loose. I ended up finding her a month later - she was basically feral. To be honest I didn't even think it was her and I still have my doubts (the vet verified it was her based on her scar from fixing her and some other problems she had). Anyways it took her 2 weeks or longer to stop hiding from people. I don't know if having other animals in the house helped her acclimate but.....it did take her a lot longer to be "comfortable" around people. She still has that crazy feral cry! Anyways, just keep doing what you are doing. I would look for her hiding place though - good luck on that one! ;)

Hopefully she/he comes around soon!!

I moved into a place and inherited a cat along with it.

It appears to have survived around the bushes/garden etc on hunting birds for a long time. It took 6 months to get the cat to come close to us. Even then it would usualy just run away immediately again. This is despite feeding and putting out treats, ignoring it, etc.

Over the next six months it started warming up to it. We got a new kitten addition about a month ago. This one also have a weird personality, but sadly chases the bigger, older cat away (despite being just 2 months old).

Then a few days ago we got puppies. Suddenly the cats get along, and, more than that, the big cat now stays around when we are sitting outside. The change in the cats is remarkable.

I can go on and on with stories about these cats (and the previous one, which disappeared about 4 months ago), and I don't know whether we just got a bad luck-of-the-draw, or whether we cause this behavior in our cats, but none of our cats are even remotely normal. Hide, comes when you don't expect it, runs when you don't expect it to, etc.

Cats1.jpg

It needs to be mentioned that, amongst our pets, the cats are the bottom of the food-chain, after a pig, peafowl, chickens, bunnies, a tortoise, and now dogs. So some weirdness is to be expected.

If the cat has experienced any sort of abuse or trauma previously, it may take it longer to come out of hiding and decide you're okay.

Have you not even seen evidence of food being eaten the last couple of days? If that's the case, I'd definitely want to try to get a visual on the cat just to make sure he/she is where they CAN eat.

I've had probably a dozen or more cats over the years, since I was little. I once had two little kitties. One warmed up to us immediately, the other hid for days. When she did finally come out, the slightest perceived disturbance (rearranging furniture, even cleaning up a room and getting rid of some of the stuff in it) would send her back into hiding.

At one point, I realized I hadn't seen her in over two days and it didn't appear that she'd been out to eat (although when you have multiple cats, it's hard to tell). At any rate, I started searching. Took another day to finally find her. CLOSED UP, in a bookcase with doors on it. I opened the door, and she just stretched and walked out like it never even bothered her. She must have been in there for at least 2 days and she never meowed or scratched at the door to get out...she was one weird cat. :lol:
She later developed the habit of running full-out down the hallway, into the LR and right up the curtains, ONTO THE ceiling, where she'd then drop back down to the ground, look stunned for a few seconds and then walk off.

I hope YOUR kitty comes out of hiding soon and decides to adopt you!

Oh dear. Have you seen evidence of her eating/using the litter box/drinking over the past two days, but just not seen her? Or by nothing do you mean no signs of her being there at all? Also, where did she come from - a shelter?

Hope the kitty is ok, K.

UPDATE:

I throw league darts on Wednesday night and we had an away match last night. I did have a few adult beverages last night (within my limit) and when I returned home, it was pretty much straight to bed. When I awoke to go make coffee this morning, there was a very unusual stain on the kitchen floor. Got the mop out to clean it wondering what the hell I did last night. Shortly thereafter I noticed the bathroom door was closed where the litter box is, but I do remember closing it before I left because the is a full length mirror on the back side..... checking myself out before I took off (read vanity). So when I went to pour the first cuppa, it appeared that Kitty had drank some of the half-n-half, couldn't tell if she ate, but the feathered toy had been batted around. I'm taking this as a good sign that she is still around.

Thanks all for your help and concern.

Ahhh glad to hear that kitty is still lurking around :)
Cats can be a worry and they'll sneak into the darnedest of places when they want to curl up all alone. I can't add to the great advice that you've had already save to say keep at it and hopefully your new feline will soon grow more confident in its new home :)

We, or rather one of my daughters, brought home a rescued feral kitten. When we let it out of the carrying case, she shot around the house until she found the darkest corner she could, which happened to be under my daughter's bed. Stayed there for a week. Wouldn't come out at all. Finally, after the week she ventured out to see what our other cat was doing, and following her, found the food dish, the water dish and the litter box. But if a human came into the room, it was belly to the floor, and a dash to hide under whatever furniture was around.

We've had her for five years now... She's still skittish and doesn't like to be touched. Although, when my youngest is home from school, she'll go sleep in the room with her. Our other cat like to be petted, likes a cuddle, likes to be with people (the more the merrier), and generally acts like a "civilized" cat. This one...

I am tempted to get a companion (or nemesis) this coming weekend to try and draw the first one out. Last weekend there were not any kittens or younger cats available. But I know the turnover can be quite high at this shelter, so there is a possibility to acquire another that isn't as traumatized as apparently the first one is. Thoughts?

<< biting toungue on inappropriate comment using slang reference of feline matters >>

I was very glad to read that you found a kitty puddle on your kitchen floor (ha ha). But seriously if the toy was moved that is a very good sign :)

Getting an outgoing but not too rambunctious (sp?) companion for her is a very good idea. I suggest you get a young (fixed) male cat for best results. I find that female cats don't tend to buddy up like a male and female do.

Most reactions

Back