I Adopted a Cat

.......... Hide, comes when you don't expect it, runs when you don't expect it to, etc...........

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Your question may have been answered already, but here's my technique for getting cats to me. This works pretty good as well. I'm a cat person, and like to think that cats like me too :)

As with any wild animal, the important part is to let the animal come to you, don't advance on the animal. The cat won't come unless he/she trusts you, or sees that you are not dangerous. So, simply get the cat's attention, sit down and reach out your arm. Sit there. If the cat's looking at you, it's deciding what to do. If it looks away, try to get it's attention again by making some PSS sounds or something.

Cats are jumpy by nature, and so you need to don't make it jump. Earning its trust. Give him/her some time. When the cat comes to you the first time, don't be all hypah hypah, but just pat it on the back, behind ears, under chin. You'll notice if it likes it by purring, or if the cat's trying to get away from your pats by cocking back or something.

If the cat wants to leave, let it. Show the animal that you're not forcing it to anything. Try again later. A cat that trusts you fully can be confirmed by it falling asleep on you, or that it FULLY closes its eyes when you're holding it and patting it for some time.

God, I love cats.

God, I love cats.

:thumbup:

I like the idea of getting her a friend, cat's need someone who speaks their language.

I adopted a very scared cat once, and it took a few months before she would really trust me, and much longer until she would trust anyone else. For a long time, if there was anyone in the house besides me she'd hide until they were gone.

But now she's awesome and loves everyone! Good luck with your kitties :)

Speaking of "speaking the language" of cats...there's a book on that...many people are TOTALLY unaware of how to say even one thing in cat!!! For example: LOOK at your cat, hiding underneath her couch. BLINK your eyes, slowly, like three times, then lower your chin, and turn your head AWAY from the cat. That is a gesture of friendship, and submission. Repeat this gesture a couple of times, and then turn your BACK ON HER. That is a gesture indicating that SHE IS DOMINANT, and you trust HER. And no, I am not kidding. If you've done much staring and peering in at her, you're not being "friendly" in cat, you are instead being dominant and threatening with continued,direct eye contact. If you get the book, How To Talk To Your Cat, you can find out more about the strange ways cats communicate; unlike dogs, cats communicate almost exclusively non-verbally with one another, and with people. Seriously, try the friendship gesture of looking, blinking, then looking downward, and away from her. Make your blinks big, slow, and blatantly obvious. After the blinks, make sure to keep your head turned away from her for at least 10 seconds. I wish I had thought to tell you this sooner. Again, combining this gesture with turning your back on her, and just sitting there, says 1) I want to be your friend and 2) You, the cat, are trustworthy to me, and I am subservient to you, the cat. [Crazy, I know, but hey, without verbalizations....cat communication is a bit primitive...]

Speaking of "speaking the language" of cats.............

.........this was in todays' paper:

Mutts.png

my cat loves modelling for me....as soon as I get my camera out he starts "modelling" for want of a better word... he lays in positions he doesn't normally, and walks about infront of me etc etc..... he knows exactly what i'm doing. lol

UPDATE:

Although she still likes to stay under the sofa most of the time, with a little coaxing she is beginning to venture out some. Cheers to Blacksheep for the Temptations suggestion and Derrel for the half-n-half.... plus the eyes talk. I'm not gonna use flash for a while on her, so here's a shot using "natural" light. :biggrin:

i-ZSzzCPb-XL.jpg

I'm thinking her name should be Lefty or Tipper (not for Al's wife). She is missing the Tip of her Left ear.

She's a beauty!
And I love that really strong divide down her face - methinks strong directional lighting is going to torment that cat oneday when photographers are around ;)

A better name would be Bele or Lokai.

Great news!
It's nice to see her out & about - she's gorgeous :)

Cool-looking cat! Very strong dividing line on her features gives her a really different look! I hope your cat soon becomes a "kitteh" to you. They can become life-long friends....my last favorite cat started drinking cold espresso + half and half every night at MY dinner time...I'd go in and eat dinner, and come back to my cold caffeinated beverage and notice a big "ring around the cup" from where he had drunk 3/8 to 1/2 of an inch worth of my last cup of the day...

Oh, and just a tip: if one day you pick up your toothbrush and brush your teeth and the brush tastes absolutely foul and vile....yes...that's cat spit...many cats will lick and lick and lick and lick the mint off of a drying toothbrush...and believe me, the taste of it comes through--even over toothpaste...it is totally gross!!!

Cool-looking cat! Very strong dividing line on her features gives her a really different look! ........

Hence my moniker suggestions.

Most reactions

Back