I am an idiot... atleast i am learning from my mistakes

zamanakhan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was out shooting macro today with my dog, just out around my complex and i found a few critters and set the iso to 100, f9-22ish usually closer to 14-16, set the sb-600 on cls slightly beside the lens and away i went.

I took a few shots, and i didnt chimp, what little i did chimp did not show my error. I had been shooting in bright sun light, with the flash at shutter speeds of 1/60th to 1/150th it never occurred to me that in bright light... there is enough ambient to show MOVEMENT!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRGGHHHHH

but at least i learned from my mistakes, as soon as i got home and uploaded them and zoomed in, i knew right away what had happened.

So let this be a lesson to others, When you are shooting you will mess up but the best way to learn is from your past mistakes. I know for sure i will never let that happen again. I did take a few decent shots while i was out so not a complete lost.

here is a shot to show what i mean

$untitled-21.jpg

I took a few shots, and i didnt chimp, what little i did chimp did not show my error. I had been shooting in bright sun light, with the flash at shutter speeds of 1/60th to 1/150th it never occurred to me that in bright light... there is enough ambient to show MOVEMENT!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRGGHHHHH

Hmm could you be more clear here about what you mean about bright light and the shutter speeds you selected showing movement. I feel that you might be either explaining your thoughts poorly or that you might have grasped the wrong end of a stick, which whilst sending you in the general right direction might end up leading you off the deepend at a later point.

He meant the flash didnt freeze the movement.

He meant the flash didnt freeze the movement.

exactly, the flash did freeze movement BUT since there was sooo much ambient light, the remaining movement was still recorded on the frame. Had i stopped down further, or used an nd filter, or was able to go beyond the flash sync speed, i would have completely frozen the bee.

Ahh I missed the flash being used part!

Yes makes full sense now how you explained it :)
That said I would always say use the faster shutter speed - the distance you can close down will always be limited by diffraction softening of the photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back