I am kinda taken back by the d70s

zamanakhan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So i recently sold my d7000, and have a d800 on pre-order. I figured i would of liked a camera while i wait for my d800 and i gotta say, i am thouroughly impressed with the d70s that i purchased for about $150. The iso range is laughable but the camera has a comander mode and both dials, for someone starting out or a highschool kid, i cant think of a better stratup set than a d70 50 1.8 and sb-600, maybe throw in a kit zoom in there.

We still have a d70 kicking around here which my wife prefers to any other digital we have. She uses it with an 18-70 kit zoom and an sb600, it's her 'grab-n-go' setup of choice. Pair this camera with a third party manual flash and it syncs all the way to 1/8000 sec. Really an amazing little and well made camera for it's day. It blew the much more expensive d100 out of the water in terms of features and image quality and set the stage for pretty much every Nikon that followed.

People don't realize how handy these older bodies are.. sure theres all sorts of new technology with the new bodies but these older ones work just the same. I messed around with a d80 that a friend of mine had a while back it was crazy how similar it was to my camera altho the screen size was a bit silly lol. I often tell people just starting out to buy used, you would be very surprised what you may find and how cheap.

I keep saying that a D70s is my back up body and it still wrks great after much abuse and travel. The 18-70 is a great lens for this camera.

xjoewhitex said:
People don't realize how handy these older bodies are.. sure theres all sorts of new technology with the new bodies but these older ones work just the same. I messed around with a d80 that a friend of mine had a while back it was crazy how similar it was to my camera altho the screen size was a bit silly lol. I often tell people just starting out to buy used, you would be very surprised what you may find and how cheap.

If u think the screen size on a d80 is silly, the d70 would have you rotfl. Of course the upside is endless battery life.

..... the upside is endless battery life.

You just have to like that. Charge your battery before you leave the house and just don't worry about it, all day battery power.

Last year my wife went to visit her folks in England and forgot the charger here. She came back two weeks later with a couple of 4 gig cards full of jpegs and still had some juice left in the d70.

who cares about screen size? we barely use our screens for anything other than review, and in that case just zoom in, and even then its much better to just load the pics and find out how everything went. I have been thinking about getting a mirror less camera after seeing how well the d70 functions, it is PERFECT for online and even printing upto household sizes.
I am actually thinking of keeping it after i get the d800. If nikon made a mirror less camera that took fount lenses and was half the size of the d70 with an aps sensor, i would be all over it.

The only gripe i have so far is that i cannot change iso with the 2nd dial in A mode.

Unfortunately the d70s is too big to keep around as a 2nd camera, it is smaller than the d800 but not enough or me to keep it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back