What's new

I am very much a beginner and would like some advice and opinions on my photos please

thanks i most defiantely will read that and im already reading several things on composition and exposure right now but i will certainly look at that. i dislike my camera cause i cannot manual do anything when i want to focus on something it never seems to focus on what i want it to, its a bit tricky but im still learning
:D
 
thanks i most defiantely will read that and im already reading several things on composition and exposure right now but i will certainly look at that. i dislike my camera cause i cannot manual do anything when i want to focus on something it never seems to focus on what i want it to, its a bit tricky but im still learning
:D

Don't blame your equipment. There is plenty to learn on any camera. I have seen some amazing stuff coming out of a point and shoot. Keep shootin' and postin'.
 
Sorry, did I not get the memo where you were appointed sole judge of what is and is not good, photographically speaking? Photography is almost totally subjective, and while the images the OP has posted may not be the ones you or I would take, his choice of subject matter does NOT make them bad images. prgriz' post is an excellent, well reasoned and informative post which could be very beneficial to the OP. Perhaps I could suggest that you relax a little bit?

Unfortunate for everyone, but fortunate for me, the part of my brain that should process empathy is overwhelmed with conceited greatness. And people say narcissist like it's a bad thing ;)

Everyone has potential, he has gone a step further and taken the initiative to join so he can improve his work through honest critique. The guy asked for advice and opinions, both of which I offered. I don't say things to offend others but offense is subjective, so it's beyond my control how someone is going to perceive what I say.
 
I could have lived without seeing your nose hair, but personally, I think you're off to a very good start with your hobby. Just keep learning and practicing.
 
thats not my face!!!!! hahahah I'm a woman!
 
They are all terrible. Trash can? Bus stop? Rock salt? If you can't grow facial hair, please don't try.

:lmao: As hard as it's gonna be to follow THAT kind of "educated" well-thought-out response, I think I'll give it a go:

Many of these are not subjects that grab my attention--specifically, I just see nothing in the first picture, the picture of the bus stop shelter or the last picture to hold my interest at all.
The first one just looks like a weed growing up a wall, and there is nothing in the weed or the wall that grabs my interest. Same thing for the bus shelter--perhaps if there was a person there, or an interesting poster or something that catches the viewer's attention. The last one--well, I just don't personally have any interest in seeing up someone's nostrils. But that could just be me. :lmao: I don't like eyeball close-ups either--in fact, I actually cannot stand to look at them--but they seem to be quite a popular subject, so who knows, maybe nostrils are too. :D

Start looking at other photos and ask yourself what you like or don't like about them. Just look through threads here, or surf the internet, or skim through a book. When a photo grabs your attention, ask yourself WHAT you like about it. Does it amuse you? Excite you? Calm you? Anger you? Intrigue you? Chances are, there is some emotional response to it, when you like a photo. Then look more closely at some that DON'T hold your attention--ask yourself why they don't interest you. Subject matter? Lighting? Chances are, they evoke no emotion at all in you.

As pgriz pointed out in that "information overload" of a post (I mean there were three whole paragraphs there!! And big words, like "conception" and "iconic", who could possibly take all that in?!?! </end sarcasm>), conception is very important. YOU may have a "vision" for your photo, and YOU may even have an emotional response to your photo--but a "successful" photo will relay that vision to others as well.

My advice? Even though you want to be "good at everything" PICK something to focus on. Maybe just work on composition--read about it, study what makes a well-composed photo, then practice it. Something like "Light Science and Magic" or "Understanding Exposure" might be good for you because they have things for you to try and experiment with.

You seem to have done reasonably well with the lighting and exposure on most of these--the composition in many of them could be stronger.

A few of them have some great abstract potential--that stained glass one, the rock salt on the pavement, and the two in the middle of the second row. The photo of the burn barrel intrigued me--not much resolution to work with in the uploaded file, and I spent all of about 30 seconds on it, but as an example of what I mean, I took that one and started playing with crops of it to find an interesting abstract--the outside left edge of the barrel, and the ashes poking out of the hole were a little too overexposed to accomplish what I really envision here, but this could make for a cool abstract, and if *I* had a burn barrel, I'd be revisiting this!

$DSCN1682 - Copy.webp
 
thanks to all of you who just wrote thanks for the advice and opinions i also see what you mean about composition i need to look more up on that.
XD
 
I love #2 with the turtle! Also, good job taking the advice about just posting a few and numbering them. Off to a good start, in my opinion.
 
I like the abstract ones, but most don't do anything for me. Lip crust + nose hair = puke.
 
I try to take everything in, I do want my photos to progress and get better and with everyone giving opinions and advice i feel like that might just happen :D

thanks to everyone giving me some advice about my photography it means a lot cause i really love doing it and i want to become professional one day XD
 
Sorry, did I not get the memo where you were appointed sole judge of what is and is not good, photographically speaking? Photography is almost totally subjective, and while the images the OP has posted may not be the ones you or I would take, his choice of subject matter does NOT make them bad images. prgriz' post is an excellent, well reasoned and informative post which could be very beneficial to the OP. Perhaps I could suggest that you relax a little bit?

Unfortunate for everyone, but fortunate for me, the part of my brain that should process empathy is overwhelmed with delusion. And people say narcissist like it's a bad thing ;)

.

Fixed that for you.

Step your game up before you ever consider calling someone else's work terrible.
 
well i want to be better at everything. i want to become a professional photographer one day, I'm not entirely sure what exactly i should get better at, and if my photographs are even close enough to looking great, i really don't even know how to explain it.

should i re-post the same thing just with like two photos? maybe then i will have more people giving me advice and opinions

My photos bring the beauty out in everything. i love just taking random photos of random things.
I just don't know if what i see is any good to others eyes, you know what i mean.

Like you said, you want to be better at everything, so shoot all types of photography.
There's nothing wrong with being good at everything. Some people say that you can only be good at one thing,
but I strongly disagree.

The point of photography is to make other people see what you see or make them feel a certain way(most of the time).
The rules of composition will become a tool for those specific purposes. If after you learn how to take a photograph and you think your photos bring the beauty out in everything
but no one else does, then it's probably best to not share your work. I have photos that I would never put on here, but that I love
and think are great, but I don't think anyone else would see what I see. That's how it is sometimes.

The best advice I can give you is to do research, find photos that you love, and try replicating them. Look at the light, the composition and try to recreate the photo.
That's a great way to learn.
 
I agree with you completely. and thank you for the advice. i most defiantely will continue to research everything i feel i need to look up :D
 
I Just recently started the whole photography thing and i love taken photos, i added a few photos that i recently took well they are like my first ones, and would really love some opinions and advice on getting better please.

Hello,
I think over all you have some nice snapshots you seem to have a good eye for abstract.

The first thing I see is your post; it tells me you are very young :bounce: either still in high school or barley out. With an enthusiastic love for something you enjoy and you want to make a living at it.

With the element of youth against you, it&#8217;s easy to see you want to dive into the deep end and just be a professional. First you must learn to swim or you will drown!...... But with the element of youth on your side you have the potential to grow with leaps and bounds! IF you are willing to put in the hard work it takes to perfect your skills.

Take some basic photography classes :study:at your local Community College if you can and learn everything you possible there. If you are not able to attend a class then there are multitudes of tutorials, forums, and books available. You Tube is a free and excellent source of information on any subject you want.

You have a nice little starter point and shoot :camera: but in time (if you want to become a professional) you will want to invest in a better camera. Work towards a bridge camera to start with. This type of camera allows you the ability to change your lenses, set your ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture, but it also gives you the choice to use your auto settings if you want. I use a Cannon T3i which is a great starter Bridge camera (as I am not a professional) and it ran me around 1000 dollars. It came with 2 kit lenses and a camera bag plus the camera body. There is also the Nikon brand which has a similar set up. The brand of camera you choose is a personal choice. Some people are avid users of specific brands some are not.

Once you have learned how to control your photos then you can invest into the cameras the professionals use which don&#8217;t have the auto settings. You are talking big bucks by then but hopefully at that point in your life you are making money at your photography and can afford it.

Good Luck I hope your dreams come true. :boogie:
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom