I can be super nerdy. (What don't people expect about you?)

That I know how to salsa dance. Based on the music I listen to on a regular basis and my goofy awkwardness, it always comes as a surprise to people. Some don't even believe me until I start explaining the steps to them or just straight up grab my wife and start dancing; It is how she and I met after all.

Hey, I can salsa dance, too! Though I haven't gone dancing in many years. In grad school, I spent a lot of time with my friends and some of our South American students dancing at this little Mexican place in Pittsburgh. That was a fun time.

Just give me one of these and some monsters. PLEASE!!!!

atari-joystick.jpg

Here ya go: Amazon.com Atari 2600 Video Computer System Console Video Games

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I will watch other people play video games on YouTube.

How's that for nerdy?
I watch day9 and husky
I have watched people play on twitch before. It astounds me that some of the gamers on there make enough money to give away cash prizes of more than 50k dollars a year.

I mostly watch the funny people like pewdiepie and nerd3.
I watched PewDiePie play The Last of Us. Wow! That's how you have fun!! Only difference between him and me, looks to be that he knew what the hell he was doing lol!!

I had no idea this existed - a place to watch other people play games? Can't tell if it's nerdy or creepy ;)

I played some games back when those Atari consoles were around. Yup, that long ago. And in college, I spent an entire day at my friend's dorm playing Tetris. It was right after my last final and my brain was fried. That was about as hard core as I ever got playing video games. I'm still plenty nerdy, but just not about gaming.

I think when people are surprised at something about me, it's more because they have stereotypes of English teachers in their minds and aren't really paying attention to me. They assume I'm all prim and proper and judgmental. They are surprised when they learn that I used to be a bartender, that I curse like a sailor and like sports. And for some reason, people are always thrown off by the fact that I'll drink things like real martinis or straight Scotch/bourbon/whiskey.

I taught school years ago and this is very true. Most of the teacher I've come across are usually the complete opposite out of school. Some of the wildest parties I've ever been to involved all teachers. Booze and sex ed, "do as I say,not as I do"

I had no idea this existed - a place to watch other people play games? Can't tell if it's nerdy or creepy ;)

It's not something I knew about until last year. My brother introduced me to it. He at one point aspired to be a gamer. Some of these guys do this for a living and make good money at it. As I said these guys are able to do give away prizes over a year of up to 50k dollars. There are some who do morning radio shows where they play with some of the people watching. At the same time take questions from callers, answer Twitter questions, and answer questions in other chat room type locations. I don't know if it's nerdy or creepy but, it's really astounding (for lack of a better word) to me that people can make money by letting other people watch them play a video game.

E-sports...do you mean things like Fantasy Football/Hockey... leagues? I know about those.

I figured that people would eventually start to cash in on gaming; I just didn't realize that one of those ways is to get people to pay for watching. It makes sense, I suppose. It's like buying a ticket to a hockey game.

Still, the idea of it makes me shake my head and realize just how right P.T. Barnum was.

no. fantasy football is no e-sports. rofl.

no. fantasy football is no e-sports. rofl.

Well, what else is someone supposed to think if they are going to use the word "sports"?

So...

E-sports is akin to "competitive gaming", haha.

I was confused by the term at first.

The game I play, for example, is a card game.

But today, ESL (an e-sports broadcaster) is streaming the Finals on Twitch today. There are a bunch of players to had to go through tournaments and qualifiers and stuff to get to this point.

Today is like... The Super Bowl of Hearthstone. Haha.

At least that's the best analogy I can come up with.

E-sports doesn't have anything to do with physical sports as you know them to be.

There are teams and competitions and prizes and stuff for video games and other computer games and stuff.

I knew these sorts of competitions existed - just didn't know they were being called "e-sports." It's a very imprecise use of the language.

Today is like... The Super Bowl of Hearthstone. Haha.

At least that's the best analogy I can come up with.

Hearthstone is Magic the Gathering for nerds.

now what does that tell you :p

Most reactions

Back