I can't make up my mind, d80/d40

meganc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been debating for the past few months as to which one to get, I'd love to have the d80, but that would mean I'd have to wait a while, and I kind of want one asap. So if I would get the d40, I could get it in a possibility of a few months. bhphoto has 3 different deals with it, they have it with the 18-55mm lens for $500, free shipping; they have it with the 18-135mm lens for $650; and they have it with the 18-55mm & 55-200mm lens for $675. If I were to get it with the 18-55mm I could get it sometime in the middle/end of March maybe. With the 18-135mm, I could get about mid April maybe. With the 18-55mm & 55-200mm, about the beginning of May maybe. (yeah, they're all maybe's, it kind of depends) But, if I want to get the d80, maybe until October or later. What do you think, wait and get the d80 eventually, or get the d40 within the next few months, and I could get two lenses with it...?
I'm so lost lol...and confused on what to do.
I only have a point and shoot now...so that's kind of why I want one asap
What to do, what to do??

I think I'm going to go with the d40 w/ 18-55, I can always buy lenses later, and actually I'd probably be able to get it in a few weeks maybe?
Haha pointless thread I guess, I think I've made up my mind.
Well, if you have the d40, how do you like it? and compared to other cameras you've used?

If you've got stuff to shoot and you're missing opportunities now, just get the D40 and don't look back. I love mine, although I mostly use my D80 because it's a lot easier for me to hold and handle. My D40 is my secondary/backup.

Well, I'm in the same boat as you......... trying to decide which camera I want and can afford relatively soon. I think it really depends on which one you'll be satisfied with a year or two down the road. I was considering a D40x in the beginning, but the more I've researched, the more I'm leaning toward a D80 or even a D200. If you think you'll be happy with a D40, I say go for it. But, I know how I am, and I'll be wanting to upgrade the next week if I settle for something that's less than ideal. But, that's just for my needs. I plan to use mine a LOT as a hobby and also in my soon to be graphic design career. Anyway, like I said, get whichever one you'll be satisfied in the long run. You don't want to have regrets.

In my opinion I think you should get D40 with it's basic lens, it is good lens really.

I am sorry before I say this - but you sound like someone who never had practical photography before, I hope I am wrong. It is not wise for the beginners to rely on advanced technology in the first instant. For me this D40 is already way advanced camera, more than I need. Also it is the lightest dslr in the market which I like in holding it. The kit lens also very light. And it is the cheapest set.

Walk around the city or your town for few hours and see how many people have the dslr hanging around their necks? Not many I am afraid. Most of the people know the important of taking photos but they don't care how good the photos are. But we do care, and that's why we spend the money for it for that reason or reasons.

If you do buy D40 don't look around for other cameras any more. It should last you for at least a year, hopefully 3 years before you look into others. Pour your heart and mind into it as the tool that one day will give you the stunning results. Master that little mechine to it's fullest with all it's limitation.

The greatest thing in life is - when you achieve something great with the minimal tool.

BTW, if you think you might be doing portrait photos, I'd seriously consider getting it with the 18-135 rather than the 18-55. The 18-55 is a great general purpose lens, but the extra reach for a few extra bucks on the 18-135 is great if you think you'd use it.

does the D40 do decent spot metering? if not and the D80 does, then i would prefer the latter.

Hmmm....decisions, decisions. I would do a lot of research and then sit down and figure out what you get from the D80 that you don't get from the D40!! Go hold, feel, and try out both bodies at a local shop. Also, see if you can find a D80 in good condition used... The way I see it, chances are whatever body you get you'll be stuck with for a while. And, usually electronics depreciate a great deal when you want to resell them, so, I would save up for the D80....But, then again, I'm an impulse buyer so if I didn't have the money it would just go on the credit card!! :)

The D40 does not have a built in AF motor, the D80 does. This means that if you plan on building up your system and getting more serious about photography, than the D40 will restrict your lens choices to more expensive ones, since they have to have the AF motor. The D80 has built in AF, so you don't have to worry about lenses as much.

I do like that the d40 is lighter...which I think would be an advantage. And it's not like I neeeed the d80 (lol) but I mean right now I just kinda want something that I can learn on, and use it for at least three years, then I'd probably upgrade to a d80 or higher (because I'm sure they'd be cheaper because new models came out? plus I'd have more money to spend anyways) It's not like if I got the d40 I'd use it for a short time and upgrade, I think it will do me good for a while lol. And it sounds to me like the d40 is a nice little camera, and it's not like right now this is my career or anything, just a hobby and something I've been interested in for years and years. I've actually been debating for years and years, which one I wanted haha. But yeah, I don't know, do you think that getting the 18-135 instead of 18-55 would make a huge difference? I mean I could, I'd probably have to wait about a month though, but with the 18-55 it's $500 flat, no shipping and no tax. Which I could possibly do in maybe a week or two? (kind of depends if this person is going to buy my old comp. and camera...haha)
I'm not real sure about the spot metering...
And I do think the d40 would be good for me for a few years...and I don't have to sell it when I want to upgrade...haha..I will probably keep it though so yeah. I do need to get to wolf camera (they should have them, i'm sure?) and see how I like them...The d40 is lighter (and smaller I assume?) so I might like that better.
Yeah, I know that, and I thought about it and I don't think it matters too much. I think I'll be good with the 18-55 for a little while, and when I do want a new lens, I'll most likely have more money to afford more expensive ones. I'd rather get the d40 with the 18-55 now, and get maybe the 18-135mm later for $300, than wait for about 8 months to maybe be able to get the d80. Maybe I'm just being impatient lol, but I kinda want one as soon as I can get it.

In that case just get the D40/18-55 combo now and start learning and having fun. :)

Yeah, I think that would be good, and it's pretty cheap so that's a plus. They actually have it at a target nearby for $500 too, so that might work out better. :D

Not sure if you decided yet :)

You really should get your hands on the actual camera.

I tested D40x (I'm assuming this is advance version of D40?) and XTi before choosing 30D. I did not like the "lightness" of D40x or XTi. I may have chosen the D80 if I were able to get hands on one.

I am also assuming the extra cost of D80 is not a consideration.

I think I kind of decided to go with the d40 with the 18-55mm, pretty sure haha.
Yeah, I really do need to go see how I like the feel of it though.
To me I think it being lighter would be better, for me it'd be easier to carry around and I kind of have small hands so yeah.
Yeah if money wasn't an issue, I'd get the d80 or higher, but that's kind of why I want the d40, cause then I'd be able to get it sooner.
But now I'm not selling my old comp. and camera....so it is going to be a while anyways for the d40...but I still think I'll stick with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back