I Can't Stand Elitism

I am always more impressed with the final product then how much money someone spent on their equipment. Dont get me wrong nice equipment is worth the money, but it doesnt make your shots automatically better. (sometimes its a detriment)
you could rely too much on your supposed end all of a lens that some bavarian hermit designed in his cellar over 20 years in europe during the war and then your creativity turns off.....................
cameras dont take pictures, people do......
Anyway thats why you wont find a piece of equipment listed in my sig. thats just my way of dealing with the issue........

Hertz van Rental said:
In the early 80's there were three of us who were known as The Zen Photographers - primarily because of our approach and the way we talked about Photography.
When I was teaching at a College in the late 90's the students, without any knowledge of the above, started calling me the 'Zen Master Photographer' behind my back. Again because of the way I approached Photography and talked to them.
Now I describe myself like that as a joke.

And the sound of one hand clapping is usually a Pentax 67 with motordrive :lol:

omg i hate the pentax 67. Everytime I fire the shutter, I trip Richter scales in other countries.

THORHAMMER said:
Anyway thats why you wont find a piece of equipment listed in my sig. thats just my way of dealing with the issue........

i only do it so that if anyone has a question about something that i might have, then i can help them out. that's all

In any given group, you have the 'elite' and the 'elitests'. The elite are the ones who get it done, do it well, shut up and go home. The elitests are the ones who brag, buy big named brand equipment and mouth off until the fire hits. Then they look stupid, and arrogent.
The elite typically try to teach thier craft to a new generation. The elitests insest of keeping it to themselves.
In photography, I dont care if you have a Blad, or a Wal-Mart special. If your good, your good.

The elitests try to show what they are, the elite just do it, and dont waist thier time on mambsy pambsy garbage. After all, Adams shot with what was essencially a large point and shoot.

Hurtz does it again lol

But alas I am always getting into trouble (just today even) for expressing this opinion. Funny how techies resent artist and artist resent techies. Where oh were have all the artist techies gone long time passing. ect ect ect

elitism...well i shoot skeet a bit in the summer with a measely winchester pump shotgun, while most guys i shoot with have 2-4k double barrel guns. BUT, im lucky because they dont think they are better or i should buy a gun like theirs, quite the opposite they like shooting with me and watching me get doubles :D

My brother has an expensive nikon camera, a few pricy nikon lenses, a tamron wide angle, some t/c's, and an older manual nikon (i guess he likes nikon?) Yet he doesnt say anything negative about my canon rebel, or my dads minolta maxxim (or whatever it is) but then again you cant show elitism in your own family, can you? :D

ill say the same thing i do in the shooting forums, support eachother because some of us are into it for the fun, and just cant afford bigger and "better" equipment ;)

mysteryscribe said:
Funny how techies resent artist and artist resent techies. Where oh were have all the artist techies gone long time passing. ect ect ect
It's not so much resentment - it's just that they can't understand each others' viewpoints. People either don't like what they don't understand or they are in awe of it.
The technical and the artistic are just opposite sides of the same coin and neither is any good without the other.
Artistic endeavour without technical expertise is peurile.
Technical endeavour without creativity is sterile.

Hmmm elitism.....I see this kinda thing ALL OVER DA. The whole "I have a cam that is 12 mp and yers is 4 bwahahahah!" I see comments like that being made all over the place on there. I also see people who own very expensive DSLR's who can't hold a shutter to a Kodak P&S. To me, elitism = arrogance, and that IMO is NEVER a good thing. Cuz we all know that arrogance also leads to a close mind set. Just my 2¢ for whatever that is worth. With inflation probably .06¢

i pay attention to what people have to say, even if what they're saying is how great their new camera is... i still use a 35mm from the 60's, but would love to have a 12mp whatever, just the same as some guy who uses a hammer would love to have a auto nail gun, to me though, what's important is the end product, if you build a house and use a hammer or a nail gun, what matters more? the tool used or if the house was built well? obviously the house, i appreciate the people who have nicer tools, i also expect more out of them, but it's just another camera to me

if you mouth off, it's not "elitism" that i see, the technology could be a brownie camera, doesn't matter, it's a camera, all that's there in my mind is just somebody "mouthing off", in the end, an arrogant person, they aren't elite, they might even be good at taking photos, but they're just simply arrogant

"stupid" has no bounds, "stupid" can own a ferrari, "stupid" can rule nations

I’m not am Elitism but you do need the right tools for the job. If you call for a plumber and they showed up with gardening tools you would be considered I think. Different types of cameras will each have there own limitations. You need to learn what the limitations are for your equipment. And shot with in them

Most reactions

Back