I Can't Stand Elitism

nymtber said:
elitism...well i shoot skeet a bit in the summer with a measely winchester pump shotgun, while most guys i shoot with have 2-4k double barrel guns. BUT, im lucky because they dont think they are better or i should buy a gun like theirs, quite the opposite they like shooting with me and watching me get doubles :D

I agree, I've out shoot a lot of people with my grandfathers old Savage doubble barrel. You don't need expensive equipment to be good. As I see it, the biggest problem with elitism is the price tag.

Jeff Canes said:
I’m not am Elitism but you do need the right tools for the job. If you call for a plumber and they showed up with gardening tools you would be considered I think. Different types of cameras will each have there own limitations. You need to learn what the limitations are for your equipment. And shot with in them

too true. but telling someone that simply because of their equipment, (no mention of skill or experience in the situation) they will take better pictures, i think is wrong. maybe image quality will be better, but actual photographic skill varies from person to person.

Good thread, I'm completely with you on this. When at events I've heard a few times people bickering about other people using "inferior" equipment to them blah blah blah. Makes me sick. Like Aoide I've been put off other forums because of the "elitist" attitude of some people, now whether thats just because they've been a member of that forum so such a long time or what I don't know.

It's arrogance and ignorance combined IMO. Not good, especially when combined. Anyway don't get me started lol. My 2 cents anyway :)

Cheers
Az

I'm totally with you guys. My friends and I go out shooting about every week and I always let the use my equipment. Whenever I see an opportunity to improve a picture that they have taken or are about to take, I point it out. It's just a bit of friendly advice to increase the number of satisfactory shots.
I used to shoot with a Nikon 8700, and I got some amazing shots with it, however, I upgraded for very specific reasons. Good equipment in the right hands does not automatically make you a better photographer, but it increases the likelihood of you getting shots that are satisfactoy.

greasemonkey might remember this one...

Some time back there was the Annual Marine Sniper Shootout at Camp Pendleton. One of the guys who showed up was shooting an old 45-70 Rolling Block with peep sights. Many of the Marines who showed up gawked a little at his rolling block because they were shooting their high end 300 WM, 338's etc. with their floated barrels, and high end poly stocks.

Well come competition time, this guy with the old rolling block out shot many of the 'super snipers' with their modern rifles.

It all boils down to actual talent, not equipment. Like I said before, the elitists are show, the elite are go.

maybe image quality will be better
Exactly...they will get a much sharper, with more accurate color, poorly composed and thought out pics.

LWW

I have elitism issues with regard to life in general, not just photography.

What works for me (sometimes, anyway) is to remember that elitism (sometimes, anyway) comes from insecurity.

And remember elitism works both ways, too. Someone might have a beautiful camera but their pictures are pedestrian and cliched. So what... as long as they enjoy photography, it's all good.

Hey, where did this soapbox come from...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back