I don't go to seminars

The problem is that I was not a member but could read this post and found it by doing a simple google search for my company. This is a private forum for photographers right? I don't mind the feedback, It was actually a very honest and for the most part nice review. But I don't think it is appropriate for my clients to read "JB Sallee is not a good photographer" and that I try to sell "whatever crap I can stick a photo on!" Would you agree?
No, I would not agree. Welcome to real life and the Internet. :thumbup:

TPF is owned by Forum Foundry and is a public forum - in so far that anyone can join. TPF can and does have restrictions on the type and nature of content posted by members. TPF, and most online discussion forums, exists as a vehicle for selling advertising space. Home Page

The vast majority of visitors to TPF are not members. Something like this is at the bottom of most online forum main pages:
There are currently 2472 users online. 157 members and 2315 guests
Members provide forum content, and in return don't see a lot of the advertising .

Last edited:
No, I would not agree. Welcome to real life and the Internet. :thumbup:

Outstanding response! Thank you so much for taking this so seriously and showing your concern! :thumbdown:

Many legal battles could have been resolved by showing a little compassion and by hearing out a complaint and working together to come up with a reasonable solution that is fair to both parties!

Your respons is both tacky and uncalled for!

Please put me in touch with someone that does care about protecting members and non members of this forum.

I can be reached at [email protected]

Well, I am putting in my two cents, seeing how I can't seem to stop myself...

I can see the reasoning in asking that the post be edited. After all, there are many of us here that are professionals and can understand policing what is said on-line about our businesses. I can see asking that it be edited just out of courtesy. There are a LOT of us here who are professionals and if I had to make the call? I might very well edit it. However, it's not my call to make and I have a feeling it's not any ONE moderator's call. I'd venture to guess they've taken the time to discuss it and the policies here.

However, as a member of the forum I do understand why they can't. One of the very prominent arguments around here is the fact that censorship and editing of posts is not acceptable. This is a public-not private-forum where every bit of what we say and do is out there for all to be found.
It's also not much different than if you had a client-or un-client go into any other forum and complain. Anyone can type anything on the internet and you are at the whim of God only knows what with whether it's the truth or not.

Do you police every review of your work and if it's negative ask that it be removed, no matter what? It's the opinion of the poster and everyone is entitled to that. You put yourself out there when you become as big as you are. Everything you do, say, sell and display at those seminars are now subject to opinions and reviews. Just take a look at the reviews regarding Sandy Puc seminars and her photography. It's not really flattering regarding her work in MANY MANY places, however her clients love her work and continue to pay for it. Each person decides for themselves. There are hundreds of weddings every year in your location that don't even call you for an interview. You aren't their photographer whether it is because of your images, your price... there are a million reasons.
If people are really influenced by this post regarding your work over what they see in their website and what you show, well, that's their loss. Really, it sounds much like you are wanting the good things said, but nothing negative-even if the person saying it is within their right to say so. The behavior now, more than the review, seems really unflattering.
I am sorry you are frustrated and dealing with this. I understand both sides, and I am sorry that I do in many ways.

And of course there's the whole, "The more activity this thread gets, the higher it's likely to show up on Google's rankings" aspect of things...

And of course there's the whole, "The more activity this thread gets, the higher it's likely to show up on Google's rankings" aspect of things...

This is already the first post that pops up about us when someone googles "sallee reviews." I have had many of my photographer friends test it on their browsers as well and they too can read this entire thread without registering to be a member. I have not asked anyone to delete this post, honestly it is a fair review of our seminars and I love feedback, it only makes us better speakers.

Again, my only issue is that this post can be seen by anyone searching for reviews on my photography business, something totally separate from our seminars and many of the statements made are not only incorrect and grossley exagerated (no, we do not have a $20,000 package and never have and a DVD of All wedding day files is $500 NOT $1500 for 50 images!) but are also shared here without our consent. A review is one thing but a line was crossed when (inaccurate) information and our pricing and policies from our private seminar was shared on this public forum. On top of that, my full name was mention (right before the "not a great photographer" part and our website was included as well, not our speaking site, our business site.

This does not sit well with us and I worry that the damage has already been done. My wife and I both work together to make a living from shooting weddings and I only wish to protect my livelihood.

Put yourself in our shoes, would you want your potential clients to read this about you?

J.B. - as a business owner that experiences ups and downs regularly, I understand why you may be unhappy. However - people DO have the right to cite a company's name or website, or even the name of the person within that company if they choose. Whether or not you offer a $20,000 package is irrelevant. I offer a $35,000 paint package, but I haven't found a customer for that yet. Does that mean I'm a terrible shop? I don't believe so.

The OP quoted what he believed he heard and very flatteringly embraced your business model. I honestly don't see where he was absolutely negative in his assessment of your company at all. He was critical in your photographic skill but that's a lot of what I've seen on TPF. If someone blasted you on a wedding photographer review site, would you request that it be made private?

Most reactions

Back