I read your post and fell out of my chair.
But I was not laughing at you. If you don't know birds, you don't know birds.
My first reaction is that the bird looks a bit freaked out. Which wouldn't be unusual. Parrots freak out easily. One of mine falls off her perch if I walk through the room with one of those 4-step type ladder. :lmao:
Of course this is not a rule. Some birds are better than others. Some birds will feel better with some people and, who knows why?
Now, if the client likes the photo, what are you worrying about? I find the colors to be fairly nice. The pose is absolutely normal. A bird does not see in front like we do. It sees off the side (in front of its eyes) and, in this pose, it is looking straight at you.
What bugs me about your photo is the oof feathers on his breasts. Too shallow DOF? At first I thought it was just the bird puffing up, getting ready to fight but he is not puffed up. Therefore, DOF.
And that would be a problem of insufficient light.