I just ate rare chicken, am I going to die?

W.Y.Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just ordered chicken wings and ate them down real fast, on the last one i noticed blood then looked at the others and found a bone with some more blood on it. Its not my blood before anyone asks.

How dead am I on a scale of 1 to 10? Please provide explanation.

EDIT: (1 being alive and 10 being dude you might as well just end yourself now)

Salmonella Symptoms, Salmonella Treatment | Patient.co.uk

You'll probably be ok - Salmonella is the more likely thing you could get from eating undercooked meat.

Also note if you've still got the bloody bones take them back for a refund! Heck if they food poison you then you likely have grounds to claim against the restaurant.

Only if the chicken had Ebola.

Salmonella Symptoms, Salmonella Treatment | Patient.co.uk

You'll probably be ok - Salmonella is the more likely thing you could get from eating undercooked meat.

Also note if you've still got the bloody bones take them back for a refund! Heck if they food poison you then you likely have grounds to claim against the restaurant.

yeah I'm saving them and taking pictures as well. I'd wait till I got sick though. I read in some places they cook bird on the rare side all the time and its fine and also read that I'd be f#%*%^g dieing if I ate rare chicken, so I cant decide whether I'm happy go lucky or really pissed

well, im pissed, but you know what I mean..

There is a point where a chicken is just cooked through enough to be safe but the vein and a bit of the bone on the wings and legs can still be a bit red. So you're about 0.1% dead.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Food poisoning (salmonella) usually comes on pretty quickly. You should know it with in a couple hours if you got it. You'll feel pretty bad but it's rare to die from.

I once got some rare (raw in the middle) chicken breast at a wedding reception dinner. I woke up about 3am with severe vomiting and diarrhea that lasted about 3 days. I only had maybe two bites when I got to the part that was raw and stopped eating. If you get sick, be sure to drink lots of Gatorade.

Keep in mind also that blood on bones isn't uncommon in cooked chicken, it depends what the blood looked like as to whether it was raw or cooked.

Is there any sort of Ask-a-Nurse type phone number in your area that you can call to get medical info.?

I think if you get too violently ill or seem feverish etc. you may need to go get medical attention. Or if you feel unsure about it maybe call your doctor to ask about symptoms to watch for (doctors usually have a service on call after regular hours).

I would say you are fine. An acquaintance of mine often ate chicken sushi. I have eaten raw chicken in the past. I was 18, now I'm 56, so I think you have nothing to worry about.

Put it this way...if a brand-new roll of toilet paper lasts longer than a day, you're gonna be okay...

Thanks for all the input everyone!! I'll update if anything horrendous happens to me.

I'll do a google search for an Ask-a-Nurse thing Vintage!! Good Idea!!

I think you're about a 2. From the USDA:

"Blood is removed from poultry during slaughter and only a small amount remains in the muscle tissue. An improperly bled chicken has cherry red skin and is condemned at the plant."

"The color of cooked chicken is not a sign of its safety. Only by using a food thermometer can one accurately determine that chicken has reached a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F (73.9 °C) throughout."

Chicken -- the other blue meat.

You'll live. You might feel like $#!+, but you'll live.

Most reactions

Back