I just found a new (new to me) feature in Photoshop

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am sure that I am one of the last ones to ever use this, but I just came across it today. Under the enhance tab, convert to black and white. I have never used that before. I have always just desaturated and adjusted highlights and shadows to my liking. I don't know anything about these sliders so maybe someone could enlighten me.

I chose infrared on this photo and then just adjusted my sliders until I thought it looked good. I have never used this before so be gentle. I don't even know what infrared is but I am reading about it as soon as this posts.

Thoughts and Advice?

_DSC0507_edited-8.jpg

I use a plugin called SIlver Effex from Nik Software. Same idea though..

Infrared really brightened up that grass huh? I love the picture by the way. It goes against the idea that light advances/dark recedes (I picked that up here) but pulls it off well.

I think you edited it really well though. I'll be the first to request the color version to compare to.

Welcome to B/W world. Many of us started our Digital B/W the same way -- desaturating. It just doesn't cut it and, for those of us who spent hours with filters on our film camera lenses and enlargers should know, it just couldn't be that simple. The individual color sliders in PS work FAR better. I use the ones under "Adjustment" in CS4. There are a couple of good books on B/W conversion available from Amazon.

BTW, I like your image very much.

I think that photo is awesome...... Hell, I even like your watermark.

I get the impression of a warm sunny day, relaxing in the tall grass as a warm breeze whips through. Very nice.

Since we are talking about B&W, I thought I would mention the fact that HDR's when converted to B&W, can really really rock.

awesome picture

I use a plugin called SIlver Effex from Nik Software. Same idea though..

Infrared really brightened up that grass huh? I love the picture by the way. It goes against the idea that light advances/dark recedes (I picked that up here) but pulls it off well.

I think you edited it really well though. I'll be the first to request the color version to compare to.

Light advances and dark recedes? I don't quite follow that?

Here is the color version.

_DSC0507_edited-4.jpg

Welcome to B/W world. Many of us started our Digital B/W the same way -- desaturating. It just doesn't cut it and, for those of us who spent hours with filters on our film camera lenses and enlargers should know, it just couldn't be that simple. The individual color sliders in PS work FAR better. I use the ones under "Adjustment" in CS4. There are a couple of good books on B/W conversion available from Amazon.

BTW, I like your image very much.

Thanks very much. I really need to start looking into some books for PSE8.

I think that photo is awesome...... Hell, I even like your watermark.

I get the impression of a warm sunny day, relaxing in the tall grass as a warm breeze whips through. Very nice.

Since we are talking about B&W, I thought I would mention the fact that HDR's when converted to B&W, can really really rock.

Yes, I love B&W HDR's! They really can look awesome. My watermark is my recent logo that I have started using. Here it is...

ericholmes_noirORIGINAL.png

awesome picture

Black and white worked great for that. The light advances thing, I think it was Bitter Jeweler who said something about it. It sounds like something they'd teach in art school..

I would love to take a photography class but the only college to offer it around here is around $400 a credit hour.

Anyone else have any advice on the RGB sliders?

Not too sure about the sliders either. i just adjust to my likeing.

BTW, I like both the BW and color!

Eric
What font did you use, and what program did you use it from?

Light advances and dark recedes? I don't quite follow that?
It is an axiom from the art world and has been used for hundreds and hundreds of years by artists to make visual art more pleasing to look at (and sell).

In this case your subject is darker than the surroundings because strobed light was not used as fill on the backlit subject. By the axiom light advances, dark recedes, the image is backwards light wise.

I would show you an edited example, but you don't allow editing of your photos.

In PS/CS there are more sliders including magenta, cyan, and yellow which gives more control of the conversion.

KmH, go ahead and give me an edit if you would like.

Most reactions

Back