I just found a new (new to me) feature in Photoshop

I love the photo, i even love how light the grass got!

Thanks Paige

Im not an expert on guitars and whats new and whats not but the shot you took and the BW conversion I believe makes it ageless. I could see the same picture in the 50's and also today. I am impressed with it. Print and Hang.

Thoughts and Advice?

_DSC0507_edited-8.jpg

KmH, go ahead and give me an edit if you would like.
This is little finese, just quick and dirty on the little online JPEG.

I quickly selected the main subject, increased the exposure 2.5 stops, selected all but the main subject and reduced the exposure 2.5 stops, to reverse the light levels so that light advances and dark recedes. I did a little quick dodge and burn here and there.

_DSC0507_edited-8B.jpg

Thanks KmH, but to be completely honest, I don't know if I like the edit. I like how he is lighter and I really like how his pants and guitar look in the edit. But, there seems to be a glow around him and the neck of the guitar. But like I said, I do like the way it made his skin and the body of the guitar lighter.

Thanks KmH, but to be completely honest, I don't know if I like the edit. I like how he is lighter and I really like how his pants and guitar look in the edit. But, there seems to be a glow around him and the neck of the guitar. But like I said, I do like the way it made his skin and the body of the guitar lighter.

I think if you used his described method, and were meticulously precise and careful, you might get a better result. I don't know if I'd go as far with the exposure or not, but if you make a good mask you can adjust it here and there with ease. It might be worth it to put the effort into this image, it's a very nice picture and a little experimenting couldn't hurt. Not sure if you'd like it more than the original edit but it's worth a shot I think.

Oh, so there's a black and white option in photoshop? I haven't noticed that, too. Well, I believe its expected. I'm really just so new about photography and photoshop. It's great to know that someone cared to post it here. I'll try this sooner!

The edit was done to illustrate the term light advances, dark recedes and no more.

Had fill flash been used when the image was made, no one would have had to go to do such an extreme edit by reversing the light levels.

What I said was in no way meant to be disrespectful.

Had fill flash been used when the image was made, no one would have had to go to do such an extreme edit by reversing the light levels.

I have a question about this. I have a SB-600 and a D90. It has the commander mode which would be real hard to use in an enviroment like this. I plan on getting a radio sync to use so I can start using some fill flash through an umbrella for diffusion. Instead of starting a whe new thread, I thought I could just ask in this one. How do you know what amount of flash to use without just trial and error?

I have a question about this. I have a SB-600 and a D90. It has the commander mode which would be real hard to use in an enviroment like this. I plan on getting a radio sync to use so I can start using some fill flash through an umbrella for diffusion. Instead of starting a whe new thread, I thought I could just ask in this one. How do you know what amount of flash to use without just trial and error?
A light meter that can measure incident and strobed light and/or using the formula, f-stop = GN/distance. (GN = Guide Number for the strobe light.)(the in-camera meter only measures reflected light)

So this may be a non-elements Photoshop option, but I can't push the exposure on anything but a RAW file. I was trying to take your advice and select the subject and push the exposure but the only option I have is to lighten shadows or darken highlights.

So this may be a non-elements Photoshop option, but I can't push the exposure on anything but a RAW file. I was trying to take your advice and select the subject and push the exposure but the only option I have is to lighten shadows or darken highlights.

Use levels

Most reactions

New Topics

Back