I just got some amazing news, but I need some advice from industry professionals.

Congrats, dawg!

I am no industry guy, but I would suggest selecting work that's both among your best AND leaning a little toward the "non-standard". I've seen you shoot some really out-there stuff, which I would not send in, and i've seen you shoot some pretty ordinary stuff. Pick some middle path, that shows that you have ideas, but that you're not a lunatic.

Not sure it matters, in fact. Presumably you'll be carrying **** around and setting stuff up. You might spend a sentence or a phrase on whatever it was you were doing in Alaska (which was, presumably, toting **** from A to B and working long hours in horrendous conditions, since that's pretty much the deal in AK?). They'll want a guy who's OK toting light stands around at absurd hours of the night, and who will bloody well show up on time, even when it's 4 hours after the last shoot wrapped up.

Hmmm, I hadn't realized I had work that made me look like a complete lunatic.
I linked a couple of my fashion pieces and a couple of art portraits that my mentor recommended, and then offered a link to my portfolio (the same link that is in my signature).

Last edited:
Hmmm, I didn't realize I had work that made me look like a complete lunatic. I linked a couple of my fashion pieces and a couple of art portraits that my mentor recommended, and then offered a link to my portfolio (the same link that is in my signature).

Was this what you were told? I only read the beginning of the thread. My apologies if I've missed something.

Hmmm, I didn't realize I had work that made me look like a complete lunatic. I linked a couple of my fashion pieces and a couple of art portraits that my mentor recommended, and then offered a link to my portfolio (the same link that is in my signature).

Was this what you were told? I only read the beginning of the thread. My apologies if I've missed something.
No, I haven't heard back from the studio yet. Amolitor had mentioned that some of my art shouldn't be shown to them because it would make me out to be a lunatic. I personally don't see how any of my work could translate this way, but people have different comfort levels with art. Some people have a preference to things that lean toward the less unusual, while I prefer it.

I'm not trying to start a fight by saying this, it's just my commentary/ interpretation on what was said.

Darn, since there were more posts since earlier today I thought there was news. Like any job I suppose it depends on who's looking at your work, and what type work they typically do, etc. If they're looking for someone creative they may see that in your photos; I suppose it's better to be yourself and find something that's a good fit for you.

I don't remember seeing anything of yours that seemed unusual to the point of being over the top; what I see on your site are interesting and unique portraits.

Darn, since there were more posts since earlier today I thought there was news. Like any job I suppose it depends on who's looking at your work, and what type work they typically do, etc. If they're looking for someone creative they may see that in your photos; I suppose it's better to be yourself and find something that's a good fit for you.

I don't remember seeing anything of yours that seemed unusual to the point of being over the top; what I see on your site are interesting and unique portraits.
Thank you. I guess you're not a square, lol. ;]

I don't know about that! LOL but if you say so.

When are they going to call??!!! (or email, whatever)

I don't know about that! LOL but if you say so.

When are they going to call??!!! (or email, whatever)
If they don't get back to me in a day I will send another email. It's with Michael Thompson Studios, so I'm sure they have a lot of email traffic and busy days.

I just got an email response from them! I have a meeting with them next Wednesday! They really like my work, including the so-called "lunatic" shots! I'm so excited! I literally just did a screaming spinning jump in the middle of my apartment! HOMYGAWD!

CONGRATS!
I'm so happy for you that I gotta bunny dance!

I'm not familiar with fashion photographers but didn't take me long to find him (except I found a guitarist first and started looking at the photos going - this can't be right...); I imagine someone at that level probably gets lots of contact, requests, etc. Guess all you can do is follow up and hang in there.

I'm not familiar with fashion photographers but didn't take me long to find him (except I found a guitarist first and started looking at the photos going - this can't be right...); I imagine someone at that level probably gets lots of contact, requests, etc. Guess all you can do is follow up and hang in there.
Check out my post above. ^^
:boogie:

I just did!!!!!!! - good for you! That's thrilling news, what an opportunity!

Did you take a selfie of the spinning jump around your apt.? if not I guess we'll just watch the bunny dance...

Did you take a selfie of the spinning jump around your apt.? if not I guess we'll just watch the bunny dance...
Sorry, that was a moment that just couldn't be captured, lol. It's all for me to savor!

I'm going to go celebrate by getting a $1 slice of pizza from one of the many pizza shops within a block of my place. Mmmmmm.

Sorry, that was a moment that just couldn't be captured, lol. It's all for me to savor!

I'm going to go celebrate by getting a $1 slice of pizza from one of the many pizza shops within a block of my place. Mmmmmm.

Wow, you had room in a Manhattan apartment to do a spinning jump? You're doing well for yourself ;)

Mmmm, now I want a slice, too. Have you learned how to properly fold it yet?

Great news and best of luck to you on Wednesday!

(BTW, if you ever miss the Alaska wilderness and want to escape the city, I can tell you some nice little places reachable from the Metro North. It's not Alaska wilderness, but there's some good hiking and nice views.)

Wow, you had room in a Manhattan apartment to do a spinning jump? You're doing well for yourself ;)

Mmmm, now I want a slice, too. Have you learned how to properly fold it yet?

Great news and best of luck to you on Wednesday!

(BTW, if you ever miss the Alaska wilderness and want to escape the city, I can tell you some nice little places reachable from the Metro North. It's not Alaska wilderness, but there's some good hiking and nice views.)
I would really love that!

And I only just started folding my slices, lol!

Most reactions

Back