I just got some amazing news, but I need some advice from industry professionals.

If you're starting to fold, then I'm sure you're becoming aware of the need to blot first. Either that or you start not minding the sensation of grease dripping down your hands. It sounds horrifying, but that sure is some yummy grease :)

I just got an email response from them! I have a meeting with them next Wednesday! They really like my work, including the so-called "lunatic" shots! I'm so excited! I literally just did a screaming spinning jump in the middle of my apartment! HOMYGAWD!

That's awesome!! Just getting in the door is half the battle - they've looked...and they've liked. :clap: Now go kill 'em! (nicely!)

I just did!!!!!!! - good for you! That's thrilling news, what an opportunity!

Did you take a selfie of the spinning jump around your apt.? if not I guess we'll just watch the bunny dance...
Sorry, that was a moment that just couldn't be captured, lol. It's all for me to savor!

I'm going to go celebrate by getting a $1 slice of pizza from one of the many pizza shops within a block of my place. Mmmmmm.

Okay, NOW you're just bragging. :razz:

Congrats!! I'm not surprised to hear that they liked your work!! I've enjoyed following your posts!

That is awesome Dan. I am not surprised either. You do have a unique vision, and a great personality to match. Having the guts to travel and to take chances can be really rewarding. That should show them you are flexible, and willing to go the extra "mile." (Alaska to NYC :) )

If you're starting to fold, then I'm sure you're becoming aware of the need to blot first. Either that or you start not minding the sensation of grease dripping down your hands. It sounds horrifying, but that sure is some yummy grease :)
My beard soaks it up before it can get anywhere else, lol. I love eating pizza, but I have to get so many napkins just for my beard.

Congrats!

I'm going to go celebrate by getting a $1 slice of pizza from one of the many pizza shops within a block of my place. Mmmmmm.
Lucky b&$#@&*. ;)

... I got the internship. My first day is December 2nd. Now that I know it's set in stone I have no issue being more up front with who the photographer is. It's with Michael Thompson Studios; you should check out his work, he has an impeccable body of work: Jed Root - Photographers - Michael Thompson

Anyways, I'm going to go sit in the bathtub and try to convince myself that I'm not dreaming. :confused:

Fantastic! I'm excited for you!
:smileys:

Good job, congratulations! What an exciting time coming up, I'm so happy for you!!

That's great! I'm happy for you, sounds like it will be a great experience.

Oh, I'm so happy for you! I'm sure you're relieved and excited and nervous - the bath is a great idea. :lol:

I followed the link - impressive!! This guy is a heavy hitter; you should learn so much from him. Congrats again!! :hug::

Many Congratulation on the internship !! :thumbup:

Here's my 2 cents:

Congrats. Getting into any top line endeavor in NYC is hard, even as an intern.

NYC and photography is OF course about the photography... except that of course you can do the work, at which point it's not really about the photography at all... it's about BUILDING YOUR NETWORK of friends, contacts, references, relationships and resources. And your body of work.

This internship is like a Harvard MBA for a photographer. Of COURSE you're going in to learn photography. But that's only like 40% of what's going on here. The rest is all about building that little black book and spidering your way into all the business aspects of things too.

Soo... with that in mind... watch your mouth and your step. A single "bad" moment can undo a reputation built with a decade of hard work. I'm not saying you should be anyone other than who you are... but do make sure that who you are doesn't cause any problems for anyone else along the way.

The fashion industry in NYC is very shrill and catty, and the more peripheral you are to it, the more shrill and catty and the less professional it gets. You don't have to fix any of that... just make sure you don't get caught up in it either!!! Have a heart, be decent to everyone... even the hopeless schlubs who you know have no absolutely no chance (as models, as MUA's, as photographers, as designers or whatever). You never know who they know or where they will end up or when you will come across them again. You don't have to mow other people down to get ahead. Building other people up will land you much farther ahead in the long run. Always be positive, constructive, proactive, productive, and contributing to shared and team success, and your own success will follow.

Now go get em ;-)

Most reactions

Back