I like these, so tell me what I did wrong. Please?

myko5

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know in my most recent post I said I was going to ignore using flash so that I could work on composition. But, its cold and rainy outside and I was bored. I rounded up my niece and daughter and set up a quick one light set-up. One reflective umbrella and AB800. I was very happy with the results of my boredom. C&C as always is appreciated.

1. $DSC_9961.jpg

2.$DSC_9970bw.jpg

You proved rainy days can be fun.

In the 1st one it appears your light could be higher, or a reflector camera right, or both I'm not sure.

In the 2nd it looks like the light was too far to her left instead of 45 degrees and a little higher than subject.

I like the one light drama shots, but i usually use a reflector too. Especially if its a harsh/smaller silver umbrella or the light is far away.

Perhaps google Rembrandt lighting and hit the images link. I suspect that may be the look you targeting

If you wait a bit, Derrel will come by and tell you about Portrait Orientation ;)

The first one is a bit unbalanced, and would I think be improved by cropping off some of the negative space on the left. It might even take a square crop pretty well (kids have such square little faces!). You can extend the frame upwards by, essentially, painting in more black, if you need the frame to be taller to get a good crop. The catchlight is a bit much, her eyes look like black marbles with a glowing white umbrella in each one. You might be able to tone this down in post, somehow.

The second one is very nice. The horizontal format works better since the subject is more centered, and is looking into the larger of the two negative spaces, "across the frame". I like it, pretty much without reservation. There is a potential quibble with the shadowed eye, but I rather like the dramatic chiaroscuro feeling.

Well done in both cases!

I had the idea of using a reflector to soften the shadows on the right side. I even had it set out for use. Unfortunately my models are a couple of very active and clumsy kids who like to knock it over.

I think they are very nice. Plain, no frills head shots. A bit dark, but I am guessing their color counterpart is exposed well. Black and white often needs to be pushed up a little more than color. It appears you could use just a touch more light reflected back into their left/our right sides.

Ya, portrait orientation would be better. I also agree with the idea of using a reflector, expecially since the models are children. A more dramatic lighting scheme such as you have here is o.k. for adults, but I think kids ought to have somewhat more even light.

One light/reflector isn't anything too complicated either =)

@Mleek, I pushed the brightness up in these to hopefully solve the issue of being to dark. Are these better?
@amolitor, I tried to brighten up the eyes and dim the reflection to help with the marble eyes. I don't think its much improvement on them, but hopefully the white isn't so prominent now.

3.$DSC_9970bw1.jpg

4.$DSC_99611.jpg

Definitely better. I might even push a little bit more.

One looks warmer than the other, but other than that they are outstanding. The crops are fine IMHO.

One looks warmer than the other, but other than that they are outstanding. The crops are fine IMHO.

I realize the one picture does look warmer then the other, as I was experimenting with the B&W also while editing these. The warmer one just has a tint added. Which do you prefer and why? Looking back at them now, I think I actually enjoy the picture without the warmer tint to it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back