I need a backpack...I think.

RyanLilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So right now All of my gear Lives in a pelican case, and its great, if I want ALL of my gear. Now I don't mind carrying one camera and lens if I'm going out somewhere, but I have been slacking off at photography recently, because I don't want to carry around a lot of extra stuff too and from work. So I need a backpack that can hold My laptop and accessories, some paperwork and file folders, and 1 DSLR w/Battery grip and lens mounted, and at least one extra lens. I just need to consolidate everything to one bag. This is still primarily a bag to haul crap too and from work, and secondarily a camera bag.

What do you guys use?
Ive looked at pictures of backpacks online, but real world convenience and comfort is difficult to grasp from a photo.

Thanks.

I got this one for Christmas, love it!

At first I thought it was too big but after I started putting my stuff in it I realized it's perfect
Caselogic SLRC-206 SLR Camera and 15.4-Inch Laptop Backpack (Black):Amazon:Camera & Photo

I just purchased this same exact bag on ebay but it was a little bit cheaper and also it had free shipping and handling. I think that this will be perfect for me because i love to travel and I tend not to go anywhere with out my laptop and since i just purchased my camera i wont go anywhere without it as well...I plan on doing the 365 photo project this year so having them together will be amazing.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use a Promaster backpack. Very rugged, holds FX camera, 70-200mm lens, flash, prime lens and an extra slot for a laptop.

Promaster

I absolutely love my lowepro fastpack 250, which holds 15" laptop body with lens attached and 2-3 additional lenses in configurable lower section (also sb600 flash and other small accessories like memory cards, cleaning kit, caps, filters, tripod mount). The upper section holds a ton of stuff and I use this as my carryon when flying...fits perfectly under the seat. It also has a mesh water bottle holder and a couple small external pockets. Easy access to camera without opening up the whole bag and offers additional security when traveling by hiding the zippers under the security flap.

i love my pro runner 350 aw!

I love my flipside 400AW - holds all my gear and it comfy and doesn't need to be taken off to access gear.

I used to work in NYC and commute by train. What I found worked best for me was a "regular" bag or backpack of choice with a small camera specific shoulder bag inside.

* The shoulder bag can be slipped into a number of different bags of different sizes depending on your specific needs at that moment.
* It doesn't look like a camera bag and less of a target for thieves.
* In a pinch, it can be taken out to make more room for other things (occasional gift for wife)
* During lunch time, I'd head out of the office for a few pictures. I would leave everything behind except the small shoulder bag. Just throw it over the shoulder and go.
* Backpacks are a ROYAL pita to get into. IMO, Look stupid too... like having a spacepack on. I have one too but really only used while in transit on vacations.

Just something to consider....

I have a burton zoom pro backpack, and I gotta say I love it. It's kind big, but not too bad. And it doesn't really look like a camera bag (if I don't have my tripod attached to it anyway) Mine is currently holding:
-Nikon D80 attached to 70-200 2.8
-50mm 1.8
-3 flash units (sb-600, 2 Yongnuo yn-460 II's)
-tripod
-15 inch laptop
-2 umbrellas
-2 small plano cases full of batteries, and other little crap

I could easily fit 2-3 more normal sized lenses in it.

The zipper to get into the actual camera part of the pack is against your back while your wearing it. This means you have to take the bag off to get your camera out, but it also means nobody can just open your bag and take your camera. And you can set your bag down to get your camera without your back getting dirty when you put it back on.

I paid $80 for mine. But I just went to look for a link and I can't find one under $150 now. Glad I got mine when I did.

There are some nice suggestions here, but the unfortunate reality is that the bag you're looking for doesn't exist. I know because I want the same bag that you do, and I looked extensively for it.

My ideal backpack is 75% laptop bag and 25% camera bag. Like you, this wouldn't be my primary CAMERA bag....but it would be my primary general purpose to-and-from work bag. I'd want room for my laptop, my laptop's AC adapter, maybe an MP3 player, various computer related cables and accessories that I travel for work with, my wireless presenter clicker, spare laptop battery, my laptops' multi-bay hard drive, my Levenger Circa notebook, glasses case, USB VoIP speaker phone, etc. Basically this bag would be a complete replacement for my Tumi laptop backpack. And oh by the way, also have a spot for a DSL w/ grip and lens, and maybe a 2nd lens.

Doesn't exist. All of the camera backpacks on the market are PRIMARILY camera backpacks, and they give you some extra room for non-photography related other "stuff". But that "extra" space is not very well organized and doesn't have the capacity to contain everything that most business travellers carry in their work laptop bag.

Having said that, I personally ended up getting the Kata DR-467i. It comes closer than any other bag that I looked at, but it's still not a replacement for my work laptop bag.

I used to work in NYC and commute by train. What I found worked best for me was a "regular" bag or backpack of choice with a small camera specific shoulder bag inside.

* The shoulder bag can be slipped into a number of different bags of different sizes depending on your specific needs at that moment.
* It doesn't look like a camera bag and less of a target for thieves.
* In a pinch, it can be taken out to make more room for other things (occasional gift for wife)
* During lunch time, I'd head out of the office for a few pictures. I would leave everything behind except the small shoulder bag. Just throw it over the shoulder and go.
* Backpacks are a ROYAL pita to get into. IMO, Look stupid too... like having a spacepack on. I have one too but really only used while in transit on vacations.

Just something to consider....

All very good points. I might look into getting a small case for just a camera and short zoom and maybe one more lens, but I do already have a case that holds either my 30mm or 50mm prime.
...Or I could sell all this bulky Canon SLR crap and buy a Rangefinder, Right? :lol:

I could sell all this bulky Canon SLR crap and buy a Rangefinder, Right? :lol:

lol... I have to admit that is one of the nice things but I carried my 1d mark II in the same manner with no problems. I did need to stow that camera with the lens detached. Most of my cameras live in non camera specific bags. I found many camera bags overly priced and too specific in purpose that they are impractical for anything else but photo

Thanks for the help guys. I just ordered a smallish Lowepro shoulder bag, that can hopefully fit into a regular backpack. Even if it doesn't work out, it was already on sale, plus I found a 20% promo code, So no big loss if it just becomes a bag for the weekend.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back