I need advice before this Saturday

Carson38

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I need your help and I would very much appreciate it! :D

I just started out with photography as you all may know. I have studied a little bit and just started out with some classes. But needless to say, I'm not perfect. So with that I'll make a long story short so you won't get bored and end up not giving me any advice ;) There is a couple that is expecting a baby in about a month and they are good friends of mine. They have asked me to shoot some maternity pictures and I couldn't say no cause they are my friends. but I did tell them not to expect much since i'm just starting out. So can you please give me some hints and tips to help my photos turn out haft descent :D:D:D Thanks a million!

Here is a list of some of my equipment I have:

Nikon D5000
AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm
AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm
52mm 2X Telephoto Lens and a 52mm 0.45X wide angle lens
A reflector
1 Soft box
3 Filters UV, CPL, and FL-D
1 Flash Diffuser
1 Tripod

Thanks again!;)

Come on peoples, 41 of you have viewed my post but nobody not even one has a tip or trick for me! I know someone out there can give me their two cents! :???:;)

Do you have a flash? You have modifiers listed but no flash...

Obviously you'll need a tripod, CPL, and 55-200mm for this assignment. Good luck soldier.

I would definately say put the camera on your tripod oviously. I'm not even close to being an expert with portraits but I would say put a light on the right side as your looking at her and put the softbox on the light and then the reflector on the other side but it all depends on how you have her posed of were you put the light and were you put the reflector. The main thing is to just make sure that you have the lighting how it looks best. Look for my thread called youtube you will learn alot from the videos I talk about on there.

Haven't done a single maternity shoot. But based off the pattern of visually appealing pregger shots:

*lots of belly touching, lots of hands
*low f-stop
*light colored backgrounds (whites, greens, and blues)
*toddler toy props

But I'm just a noob, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone this is helping! Keep it coming! :thumbup: :)

Anything else guys?! :)

You should not expect your first shoot to be perfect, you told your friends so.
Just go out, shoot it, pay attention and learn. ;)

What good is a softbox, and a diffuser if you don't have a flash?

Are you going to position your softbox on a light stand 92,000,000 miles above the earth and hope that it will counteract some of that harsh afternoon sunlight?

What good is a softbox, and a diffuser if you don't have a flash?

Are you going to position your softbox on a light stand 92,000,000 miles above the earth and hope that it will counteract some of that harsh afternoon sunlight?

Maybe they are these things that you can put on your popup flash..?

I have a maternity shoot today, my first one as well. Friend asked if I could, i said yes because she is a sweetheart, so off I go!

Good luck to you!

Can you fasten a softbox on a popup flash? And would that even be worth doing? Hahaha.

Hey, i never said it was worth doing or even worked properly, but I do remember seeing some Gary Dung thing that went over your popup to diffuse it, so hey, if Dung does it, anything is possible.

Hey, i never said it was worth doing or even worked properly, but I do remember seeing some Gary Dung thing that went over your popup to diffuse it, so hey, if Dung does it, anything is possible.

His name is Fong. It's called a LightSphere.

Can you fasten a softbox on a popup flash? And would that even be worth doing? Hahaha.

You can mount the speedring on a light stand or tripod and fire your flashes into the softbox with the use of a special bracket that costs $15-$20.

Most reactions

Back