RichieTang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.notrevuephoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I am trying to make a big decision about switching from my DSLR to a MILC. I would love some insight as to what to do, as I am completely lost on this subject, and have very little knowledge concerning the differences. I will explain a little about my way of life, and the setup I currently have.

My way of life:

I'm a midweight backpacker. I carry only what I need. I also consider a good camera, with a "perfect" balance of range, quality, weight, and size as part of what I carry around. I stay in Hostels and the like 99% of the time while travelling. Each trip is between 1-3 weeks long.
I travel from country to country and stay rooted for a year at a time, so it can be said that I always have a home "nearby".
TWO (2-3 weeks trips) a year, and about NINE (3-4 day trips) a year, and 20 (2 day trips) a year.
I like to focus my efforts on landscape, city, and night photography. I also like candid shots and to do photoshoots with my friends once in a while.

My current Setup:
T2i
50mm F1.8
24-105 F4.0
aluminum mid-size tripod
accessories (filters, charges, battery grip, cleaning tools, extra batteries, extra memory cards)
External Flash

What I am most curious about is what I will gain and lose if I switch to a MILC. I realize I will have less weight to carry about, but that is about all I know. I would also LOVE some advice as to what MILC I should purchase.

The MILC I'd buy to replace would be between $800-$1200 as a replacement (excluding everything that is not lense/body). Unless someone can offer a compelling argument or me to throw $2000+ on something.

Let me know if there is anything else I can share about myself to help you help me make a more informed decision.

Thanks so much in advance.

RichieT.

Last edited:
I guess everyone is a bit dumbfolded here, because there is no such thing as a mirrorless DSLR.:)

I switched my Nikon D5100 for a Sony A6000 mirrorless. The latter one is smaller and
lighter than a DSLR, but also has a APS-C sensor. Focusses very fast and takes good
low light pictures. With an adapter you could still use your Canon lenses.
Rudi

The mirrorless cameras are no longer called "DSLR" because the acronym stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex camera. The "reflex" refers to the 45º angle mirror in the image path (which is still called a reflex mirror whether or not it swings up.) Mirrorless cameras are called "MILC" -- an acronym that stands for Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera. As the camera is "mirrorless", it has no reflex mirror.

There is no such thing as a mirrorless DSLR. It's either a DSLR, or it's mirrorless. DSLRs have mirrors - that's the R part (a reflex mirror). Everything else is mirrorless.

Did you perhaps consider going for a fixed-lens camera? The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 and Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 both look like fantastic options.

If you still want interchangeable lenses, the amount of "gear-diet" as I call it (reduction in size and weight) that you'll get depends on how sensitive you are to noise in low light situations. Viable options range from the Nikon 1 system, with the same sensor size as the Sony RX10 and the Panasonic FZ1000, through Micro Four Thirds (bigger, yet smaller than your T2i's APS-C sensor) and APS-C systems (most popular are the Fujifilm X- and Sony E-systems, but Samsung NX is quite a good system that often gets overlooked, and the Canon EOS M is pretty good, too), all the way to the Sony FE-system, which requires full frame lenses, so it won't be much smaller than your DSLR system after all (and it's expensive).

To me, Micro Four Thirds strikes the best balance. If you agree, get an Olympus OM-D E-M10. It's the best value Micro Four Thirds body on the market, at roughly $700 body-only or $800 with the 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens. You may wish to shop around for a used Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8.

If you need an APS-C sensor, I'd recommend buying the Sony Alpha NEX-6 and the Sony-Zeiss 16-70mm f/4. Wonderful combo.

What is wrong with your T2i?

The problem is that its too big, and if I continue down the road, it'll only get bigger. I"d like to downsize if the disadvantages are not too great.

The mirrorless cameras are no longer called "DSLR" because the acronym stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex camera. The "reflex" refers to the 45º angle mirror in the image path (which is still called a reflex mirror whether or not it swings up.) Mirrorless cameras are called "MILC" -- an acronym that stands for Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera. As the camera is "mirrorless", it has no reflex mirror.

Ahh wonderful, thank you! I called it a mirrorless dslr because that's what it seems most sites are calling it. Thanks for correcting me!

If you do a search on this site with the key words 'mirrorless' and 'switch'. You will get a plethora of discussions on exactly that topic.

I'm currently in the midst of transitioning. I say that, but I am awaiting my DSLR equipment to be sold before I purchase the Mirrorless M43 system (I'm going to go for the Olympus OM-D E-M1 that I've been using today)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back