I need help!

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, here we are. I have a competition coming up with the topic "Natural history" and it is a colour print competition. I THOUGHT I had my two entries decided, and then I went and shot some more images. Now I am in trouble, because I just can't decide what to do...

Basically, I need 2 images that show either animals or plants in their natural environment, not influenced by man. I will put my "shortlist" here, and will accept all critique and, if you'd be kind enough, your reasons for choosing a particular image over another. I KNOW I should be the one to choose, but I like ALL of them for one reason or another and I am tied!

Barn Owl 1 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Mallard Shaking Down by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Mallard Coming in to Land by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Southern Hawker Dragonfly 5 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Emerald Damselfly by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

#1 is by far the best, imo. Besides the excellent shot of the bif, there is the humor of the sign involved.
totally good

neither of the ducks is at all extraordinary.

Of the two bugpics, I prefer the first because he/she is large, dreadfully sharp and smiling at the camera.

#1 is by far the best, imo. Besides the excellent shot of the bif, there is the humor of the sign involved.
totally good

neither of the ducks is at all extraordinary.

Of the two bugpics, I prefer the first because he/she is large, dreadfully sharp and smiling at the camera.

Thank you. Certainly the owl is a frontrunner. The dragonfly does have a "face" doesn't he?

Cheers

Owl shot for certain - you don't even need to question that one!
In fact I'd be tempted to say, of this set, just enter the owl and nothing else. It's standing a clear cut above the other photos; which whilst good are lacking somewhat in their presented content (the ducks are good, but high angle and not amazingly new; the insects are good, but whilst the first has some charm the latter, whilst a solid shot, isn't really artistically interesting as such.

I agree that #1 is The one, but I'm not sure if it fits the requirement "natural environment, not influenced by man"..

Hmm I took the "not influenced by man" part to mean that the animal was not human controlled/owned/influenced (ie wild) however now you mention it the signpost could go either way (some can say its evidence of human activities and on the other hand it is part of that owls natural environment (since in many areas/countries its darn near impossible to find untouched land

In that case any animal/plant photo will do :) There's an obvious joke including human-made signpost, which in my opinion clearly negates all talk about "natural environment".

Definitely #1

.I would find out about the rules though. Our photo club is strict about the "hand of man" rule. And that sign wouldn't fly (oh, that's funny!) in competition.

As far as the others, I dunno. I've seen sooooo many ducks and dragons...

I think if 1 is too close to the rules for comfort just save it for another comp; its certainly got the potential for prize winning or at least nomination in other categories

Owl shot for certain - you don't even need to question that one!
In fact I'd be tempted to say, of this set, just enter the owl and nothing else. It's standing a clear cut above the other photos; which whilst good are lacking somewhat in their presented content (the ducks are good, but high angle and not amazingly new; the insects are good, but whilst the first has some charm the latter, whilst a solid shot, isn't really artistically interesting as such.

Thank you. There's nothing to lose by submitting two, so I may as well. And if the second gets a decent enough score then it adds in to my yearly scores which can be used for other awards at the end of the year (e.g. Club photographer of the year, best 3, etc.)

Thanks for you input. :)

I agree that #1 is The one, but I'm not sure if it fits the requirement "natural environment, not influenced by man"..

Which is precicely my sticking point. I don't think the signpost is influencing the bird, and also it is quiote a "natural" sight in the countryside, however, not eveyone sees it like that. That's the main reason why i am torn between pictures. :)
Cheers

Hmm I took the "not influenced by man" part to mean that the animal was not human controlled/owned/influenced (ie wild) however now you mention it the signpost could go either way (some can say its evidence of human activities and on the other hand it is part of that owls natural environment (since in many areas/countries its darn near impossible to find untouched land

Yes...pretty difficult to get every trace of man out of the image if it were a swallow, for example, which we virtually only ever see on wires. Likewise, I only ever see sparrowhawks on my fence in the garden. Is that natural, not influenced by man. It really makes it difficult to choose!

Cheers

In that case any animal/plant photo will do :) There's an obvious joke including human-made signpost, which in my opinion clearly negates all talk about "natural environment".

Yes, that's the other viewpoint. The owl is having a joke with us..."Why Walk?", he is saying (if we are anthropomorphising him. :) )

I asked the same question elsewhere, and they said the ducks are fed bread (they probably are) so are they not wild anymore? See why it is so hard to choose? At least with the dragonflies they don't give a monkeys...no influencing them! :D

Definitely #1

.I would find out about the rules though. Our photo club is strict about the "hand of man" rule. And that sign wouldn't fly (oh, that's funny!) in competition.

As far as the others, I dunno. I've seen sooooo many ducks and dragons...

Added to this soup of choices is the information that I am the competition secretary. Our internal cometitions are jusdged by the members. If say a picture is admissible, then it's in (providing it is a borderline case - if it's clearly not suitable (e.g. mono in a colour print competition) then I can make it fit. But then i don't want to do that for myself and fall flat on my face when it comes to the votes.

My club members will be quite impressed with close ups of dragonflies...they don't see that many. I am counting on the "Bird on a stick" brigade seeing something a little less formulaic.

Thanks for your input. :)

I think if 1 is too close to the rules for comfort just save it for another comp; its certainly got the potential for prize winning or at least nomination in other categories

Yeah, that's an option...I am just eager to get it in...impatience, see?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back