I need serious advice!

shutterbug01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First and foremost....Photography is my passion && for some reason I am having such a hard time beginning this dream career that I have in mind. I've loved taking pictures ever since I was a little girl. I'm 19 now & need some serious advice. A couple of months back I bought my first SLR camera : Canon Rebel XS
I'm in love.! I haven't bought any extras, but I'm dying tooo!!! I'm just unsure of what I need to buy just for a beginner. I still haven't made a Logo for myself. I need a step-by-step on how to begin this dream! I also am unsure as of my education..Does anyone know of any great photography schools?! I'm just so overwhelmed.!

Great photography school = your town's municipal library. Seriously. There are probably 100 great books on photography there, all free for the borrowing...

Logo...career... put those thoughts on hold for a few years (if not more) until you get an idea of what and how you shoot.

Focus on your passion and have fun with photography. Dont charge people, dont make a logo...live and learn what you love. The rest will come in due time.

A great cheap lens to learn with is the Canon 50mm f/1.8. Save the rest for later purchases.

You are right, there is alot to learn. You need to master alot of photography before thinking of taking money from people. You need backup gear, need to learn flash and off camera lights.

If you do plan on making this a career, then I highly suggest not only investing in photography knowledge, but invest in classes on how to run a small business when you are ready to spread your wings. They will be way more valuable in the long run

Keep in mind that everyone and their uncle has your camera. Everyone thinks being a photographer is all about a cheap dslr and a logo, and you are now set to shoot weddings. Its a highly competitive market, alot of people are in here. Its not an easy road. You wont be making millions, you wont have fame and fortune and rub shoulders with the stars on the red carpet.

Thanks for the advice guys! I've taken pics for a baptism and some things for family..with no charge..As in my education I am currently working on my associates business degree..but when i meant logo..I wasnt sure when I took pics for the baptism if I should have put a logo somewhere???! Would you guys suggest maybe I should get caught under the wing of someone experienced?..I've considered moving out of my hometown to expand my horizons? what do you think?

You mean logo as your name on the photos? I'm sure almost everybody, even new people or amateur put their name on their pictures for privacy issue. We don't want our photo being use elsewhere without our permission. I would suggest come up with whatever you want and put it at the bottom right corner like most people. Nothing big, just small like Shutterbug Photography or Photography by Shutterbug for example.

As for school, I would suggest reading books. I bought a few beginner books and it helped me learned a lot about the basic of photography. After learning those, go out and try to use what you learned. Practice makes perfect. Nobody become a pro overnight, there are a lot of trial and tribulation. When you learn the basic, you can start explore to master it. It's just like everything you do, gotta learn the basic first. You can't be Jimmy Stewart if you don't know how to drive a car.

Last edited:
Yes, definately start with a logo. Once you have a logo, everything else will fall into place.

It's true!

Oh, wait. You need passion too.

Passion, and a Logo, and you're set.

It's true!

Oh, wait. You need passion too.

Passion, and a Logo, and you're set.

OK.. can I trade passion for vodka? Vodka makes everything better.... or is that diamonds? crap just pass the vodka.

No! Vodka and a logo takes you down an entirely different path.
Vodka and passion makes babies. Consider yourself warned.

Thanks for the advice guys! I've taken pics for a baptism and some things for family..with no charge..As in my education I am currently working on my associates business degree..but when i meant logo..I wasnt sure when I took pics for the baptism if I should have put a logo somewhere???! Would you guys suggest maybe I should get caught under the wing of someone experienced?..I've considered moving out of my hometown to expand my horizons? what do you think?

You are young and you sound confused.
I would take a step back and think about what you may want out of life, and what is really driving you out of your home town.
There is no rush at 19 years old. You may eventually actually find a path for your life that you will enjoy. My most sincere advice is - don't rush it.

I'd have to agree with pbelarge. It took me a long time and a lot of back and forth to finally decide that photography was something that I wanted to take seriously. At 27 years old with 10 years of prior art/design experience behind me, 2 of which are completely freelance, it was not an easy decision. It's been a little less than a year for me learning photography, two classes, and a ton of reading later, and I'm still not willing to take money from people.

I DID however JUST design a logo and mock-up a website/portfolio design literally this past week. :D

Just take your time and don't rush it. If it is truly what you enjoy and have a passion for, in the end, it's what you'll end up doing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back