I need some <different> ideas for engagement shots...

Megan14227

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a couple who came to me asking me to do some "outside the box" engagement shots for them. The bride-to-be is a coworker of mine, and we work at a lobbying firm in Washington DC. She is a hard-core Democrat, and he is an equally hardcore Republican. They suggested possibly doing something with the mascots from each party, the donkey and the elephant, to highlight their political views.

I am completely stumped on this one. I typically do very traditional engagement shots, because that's what most people want. They both literally said that they didn't want a lot of "kissy-kissy" photos, but something a little more "fun". Help!! I could really use some ideas.

Thank you in advance!
Megan

Introduce props and maybe some edgier lighting.

Oh, and they want them done outside, probably by some of the monuments that are all over the place here.

how about a sign on someones lawn (like they have "vote for so and so") and have them sitting behind it or on either side..and the sign can read "here's one party that wont be divided" or something like that. Some kind of play on words with the word "party." I like the ideas about the elephant/donkey too. Maybe a harsh light on a wall with shadows of each animal looking huge, but the couple standing in front on the shadows (like its their own shadows) but holding hands.....

I like those ideas a lot!! Thank you! Keep them coming!!

Try this:

Do an outside shot at the National Mall with the Capitol in the background. Follow the other tip and have each person hold a different sign with their party affiliation. (go to Wikipedia and look up the current logos of the two parties; they're very simple and strong) Then dress them each in one of the dominant colors: blue or red (or maybe just with a hint of the color)

Harald Johnson

gaint cardboard thought bubbles.

This your chance to shine, because every photographer wants to hear "think outside of the box". Tell us more about your style and experience. I get that you have only shot traditional engagements. How many? Where? What is your lighting style? What shots did you see when they first mentioned the shoot? Tell us more details of your thought process and we can help further.

Love & Bass

there are so so many options - but really, what's with all the tent setup on the Mall right now? (commenting mostly because it seems like something that would interfere with a lot of monument shots)

Something a bit expensive, but have them get a giant billboard announcing their engagement. Then take a photo of them standing in front of it. Or at least find one to put them in front of, and photoshop their engagement announcement on it.

Or you can do it Spencer Tunick style and have them do some nude photos on monuments (this one is just a joke) but at least it wouldn't be kissy kissy.

there are so so many options - but really, what's with all the tent setup on the Mall right now? (commenting mostly because it seems like something that would interfere with a lot of monument shots)

GOOD QUESTION!!! Tourist season is in full swing, so someone feels like all this stuff should be set up to entertain them. Really, I think the tourists would rather just be able to get photos without all this other crap in the way!

This your chance to shine, because every photographer wants to hear "think outside of the box". Tell us more about your style and experience. I get that you have only shot traditional engagements. How many? Where? What is your lighting style? What shots did you see when they first mentioned the shoot? Tell us more details of your thought process and we can help further.

Love & Bass

I'm sorry for the delay in my response, I have been out of town unexpectedly.

The great majority of my experience is as an assistant. A guy trained me and taught me everything I know. He did mostly traditional settings, outdoors, such as the couple in front of monuments, doing fun things like kissing and giving piggy-back rides and embracing or snuggling on the grass, etc etc. I've assisted on about 15 of these shoots; flown solo on about 5. There is never any additional lighting with the exception of a Speedlite 580X attached to the camera.

Basically, the bride and groom told me that they wanted the complete OPPOSITE of what I have shot before - no kissy shots, snuggling shots, etc. So, now I'm thinking that I shouldn't have taken this shoot. But I don't really want to back down from a challenge, and I'm definitely not opposed to trying new things - it can only be good to expand my horizons, right?? I'm just wishing that I still had the guidance from the guy who originally trained me, but I do not. I'm totally lost. Although I'm loving some of the ideas on here that you guys have submitted. :D Thank you to everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back