I need some help with my New Nikon D40

Raydee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
For some reason when i set the camera to continuous mode I only get one shot when I hold down the shutter. Does anyone have any idea why?

I have a D60 and not familar with D40 control settings but I would firstly suggest your settings are not requiring you to use flash.

If the D40 thinks it needs flash it might stop the continuous exposure until the flash recycles...

I'm sure someone with a D40 can answer this better than I...

I think you are right on the money. If I try to shot continuous mode in the house it won't work but outside or inside with nice sunlight through the window it works great.

You should be able to disable the onboard flash somewhere in the menu settings.... I don't know what modes you shoot... If you shoot Auto than try switching to P mode ... this mode is still pretty automatic, but will allow you to disable your flash so you can rapid fire...

Yeah I shoot just in P mode. I will look into disabling the flash but in all honesty I think I will need the flash in the house anyway.

Not always.... try adjusting your ISO upward indoors to compensate for flash if using continuous shutter is desirable to you.....

Ok I will try that. I really only use cont shutter indoors when I am trying to take picures of the fish in my tank and sometimes the dog running

For some reason when i set the camera to continuous mode I only get one shot when I hold down the shutter. Does anyone have any idea why?

Your Manual will know, and it will explain it better then we will.:)

Increase the ISO, and use Manual mode; it won't 'want' the flash.
I agree. I had the same problem with my D50 at first. You will just need to mind your shutter speed or, you will get some blurry pics.

Could this problem be related to autofocus? If the camera can't focus, it won't continue taking shots.

Maybe good idea to recheck the continous/single mode in the menu to make sure it is set correctly. I just tried mine in P mode here in the room and it fires continously.

Guys I hate to admit it but I am a Camera noob to say the least. THis weekend I shot some pictures in Shutter mode and most of the pics came out great. I will try shooting indoors in Manual mode but I think I need to get a better understanding of the F-Stop and Iso before I try it.

While I am here I would like to ask another question. THe main reason I bought the camera was to take outdoor action pictures. Because of this I keep the 55-200mm lens on all the time. My wife wanted to use the new camera in the house the other night and complained that the pics were coming out blurry, is this because of the larger Zoom lens indoors?

The amount of light at any given time influenced the speed of the shutter. Slow shutter speed = blurry pictures.

If you set the camera in P mode, when you look through the view finder you will see the camera meter is telling you what SS and what aperture is going to be used. Without taking pictures - point your camera to outdoor sceneries and indoor sceneries - and see how the meter will reacts to available light constantly. Than, change the ISO setting into higher ISO setting through the menu and see how the meter will react by using faster SS automaticaly.

With nikon d40, for indoor shot don't hesitate to use ISO 1600, good outcome still. Give it go with this setting and that setting. Don't forget it fun that you are after.

So have fun.

Thanks for the fast reply. One thing I have learned so far is that there are a lot of variables to these Camera's. I think I will wear out the camera before I really learn enough to take some great pics, good thing I started with a cheaper SLR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back