I need to mention this

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't normally get bugged by too much, but every so often something triggers my got to say something nerve. :lol: There have been so many threads lately stating 'abstract' images, abstract flowers etc. Most of these shots, especially the flowers being called abstract, are really, "Impressionistic", because they bear resemblence to what they really are. "Abstract" images on the other hand should have no identifiable subject or resemblance to what they actually are. There I said it! Now I feel better. :lol:

Like this?

Abstract2.jpg

Abstract1.jpg

Sorry..... I couldn't resist! :lol:

Ohhhh..... an impressionistic black and white tiled floor. :mrgreen:

How about these?

Like this?

Abstract2.jpg

Abstract1.jpg

Wow! These are both great. I can really feel your emotion pouring from the second one. What I see is a black bear on a moonless night, not a black cat at midnight in a coal mine. But thats whats so great about abstract. You can just make crap up. Nice job!

Like this?

Wow! These are both great. I can really feel your emotion pouring from the second one. What I see is a black bear on a moonless night, not a black cat at midnight in a coal mine. But thats whats so great about abstract. You can just make crap up. Nice job!

Missed focus a little on that first one. :lmao:

OP: You're right. But being right means nothing here. It's a sad fact--most people have no idea what abstract OR impressionism really are, nor do they care. This *includes* photographers, MOST of whom have no art education and very little interest in the *discipline* of Art. So, abstract and impressionism just become interchangeable terms that mean "an artsy-fartsy photo." :D

Personally, it doesn't bother me that much--I'm too busy getting totally worked up by the rampant misuse of "it" and "it's" as well as "their," "they're" and "there." :lol:

Personally, it doesn't bother me that much--I'm too busy getting totally worked up by the rampant misuse of "it" and "it's" as well as "their," "they're" and "there." :lol:
Don't forget "to" and "too" (and "two" on a rare occasion).

Sparky, I think you have your captions reversed or did you post the scanned negatives?

Well, I'm guilty..Now I know better!! :mrgreen:

snowbear said:
Don't forget "to" and "too" (and "two" on a rare occasion).

Sparky, I think you have your captions reversed or did you post the scanned negatives?

Ah the "there's and too's" problem, your awful uppity about you're grammaticals. ;)

OP: You're right. But being right means nothing here. It's a sad fact--most people have no idea what abstract OR impressionism really are, nor do they care. This *includes* photographers, MOST of whom have no art education and very little interest in the *discipline* of Art. So, abstract and impressionism just become interchangeable terms that mean "an artsy-fartsy photo." :D

Well, I majored in art when I was in school way back when, so I guess thats why it bugs me a bit; not enough to make a big deal out of it, I just had to get it off my chest. :D

I'm probably the guiltiest party at the moment *hangs head in shame*
I have officially been educated! It's probably a good thing to properly identify what you are trying to do lol my bad!!

......., so I guess thats why it bugs me a bit; not enough to make a big deal out of it, I just had to get it off my chest. :D

I feel the same way about 'raw'. It's not RAW. Capitalizing it means it's an acronym for something (Like JPG or TIF). You don't buy RAW meat at the store, do you?

PixelRabbit said:
I'm probably the guiltiest party at the moment *hangs head in shame*
I have officially been educated! It's probably a good thing to properly identify what you are trying to do lol my bad!!

I had just looked at your "abstract leaves" before reading the start of this thread and thought "PixelRabbit jut set it off!". :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back