I picked these up at an estate auction, I am super happy.

FITBMX

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I paid $25 each, they have just the tiniest bit of fungus starting but it shouldn't be hard to clean out and I think was well worth it.

This 80-200mm the switch to turn it to manual aperture is missing/broken off, but I got it switched so that is all good. I have never had Nikon gear before, what is the small adjustable ring at the top for and how do I properly use it? It seems like infinity focus change.
20190715_131650-2.jpg

20190715_131822-2.jpg

20190715_131919-2.jpg

This one is Tamron.
20190715_132016-2.jpg

The 60mm micro is like "the Swiss Army knife" of Nikon lenses.

Ah, you got some great stuff !!!

Hmm, focus limiter ?

Focus limiter is my guess too. That is new to me though.
I am really excited to get them though, too bad there wasn't a 600mm f4 there! LOL
There was a lady there who had brought her Nikon with her, and she was testing them, but she didn't even check them for fungus or dust which is what really matters. She waited through the whole actuation and I thought she would be hard to outbid, they sold them as "choice" and she stopped bidding at 20 bucks so I got the bid at $25 and took all of them. She looked really disappointed, I can't figure out why she would wait four hours and bid so low! Oh well, I am not going to complain. ;)

The 60mm micro is like "the Swiss Army knife" of Nikon lenses.

I am waiting to get the money up for adapters since I have a canon, but I can't wait to try them out! :D

Yes on the zoom lens at the top, that ring is the focus limiter. As you can see there are different ranges, which speeds up focusing, and prevents lens from focusing into a distance range that would not be useful.

It has been almost 17 years since I have owned that particular 80-200 mm F2.8 zoom. As you can see right now the lens is at the"full" position, meaning it will focus from infinity all the way up close to minimum focusing distance. As I recall there are two other ranges.

Last edited:
Yes on the zoom lens at the top, that ring is the focus limiter. As you can see there are different ranges, which speeds up focusing, and prevents lens from focusing into a distance range that would not be useful.

It has been almost 17 years since I have owned that particular 80-200 mm F2.8 zoom. As you can see right now the lens is at the"full" position, meaning it will focus from infinity all the way up close to minimum focusing distance. As I recall there are two other ranges.

That focus limiter sounds handy. I hadn't looked up the age of the lens yet, but I figured it had a little age on it. Everything at the auction camera-related looked like it had been sitting a long time.
It has 4 positions, "Full" "15' to infinity." "10' to infinity." and "10' to M." which I am guessing "M" is macro, but I don't know.
How was this lens back when you had it? I saw a youtube review that said the AF was a bit slow, but since I will be using it on a Canon that doesn't matter. :)

Good score!
Thanks! I am so happy, I have always tried to save for better glass but could never get there.

You suck (meaning you hit a great deal) :icon_cheers:

That old 80-200was often called a one ring, since one ring does both the focus and the zooming.Image quality is not too bad, but not stellar as it is with the newer 70 to 200 mm F2.8 models, and the lens is about a pound lighter than later models.

Excellent score!!
It makes my estate-sale find look like robbery.

That old 80-200was often called a one ring, since one ring does both the focus and the zooming.Image quality is not too bad, but not stellar as it is with the newer 70 to 200 mm F2.8 models, and the lens is about a pound lighter than later models.

You really missed out on using the perfect line, "one ring to rule them all!" :lol:
"Not too bad." is better than most of my lenses. LOL
Thanks. :)

Excellent score!!
It makes my estate-sale find look like robbery.

In the hundreds of estate sales I have been to, this is the only one that has ever had anything camera related. It doesn't help that the auction service did a really bad job listing them because they couldn't be bothered to research them for 30 seconds.

Those are dangerous! They must be immediately shipped to an authorized disposal agent. Me. :biggrin-93:

Really nice score. Enjoy.

Those are dangerous! They must be immediately shipped to an authorized disposal agent. Me. :biggrin-93:

Really nice score. Enjoy.

They are on the way, you better stand next to your mailbox and wait for them! :bouncingsmileys:

Thanks, I know I will enjoy them! :)

I have owned each of those models of lenses, Except for the Tamron 17 mm lens, which appears to be in their Adaptall-2 mount. The Nikon lenses are all pretty good. In terms of absolute quality, the 60 mm micro NIkkor it's quite a good lens, with high sharpness, but as you can see the focusing is hair trigger from infinity to Close range. It is a very difficult lens to focus by hand at distances more than 7 feet or so. In the close-up range it focuses by hand and eye fairly easily but at distances like 15' 20' 30 feet 40 feet 100 feet, etc. it is difficult to focus reliably time after time by hand, due to the extreme little range of motion required to make a significant distance change at longer ranges.

Most reactions

Back