I think bh photo

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by bribrius, Dec 5, 2018.

1. InFlight

InFlight TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    As with B&H I have never had a problem, ever. Sure packages have arrived late, but they are not in the delivery business.
    As for Amazon, I have found the quickest delivery, the both sell...and a "part" of delivery, but mostly Amazon has warehouses closer to me than the distance of B&H.

The best point here is what quality are you receiving from any other than B&H.
    Do you believe Amazon has qualified people standing behind a product coming from who knows where?

Most Amazon products I see from Amazon are "new" but most likely some have been around.

Now, I have purchased from amazon and had good results. However, I have received product sub standard.

With every business, problems exist. That's normal, they are run by humans.

Now with adorama, they allow a second party which works within their website ignore your order from adorama and order outside which would be Amazon and send you cheaper product from there to gain profit. Who knows what quality you are recieving.

2. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    B&H is responsible for the product from the store/warehouse to my front door. It may be UPS' or FedEx's fault that it's late or damaged, but ultimately, B&H will have to answer for it.

ETA:
    I agree, but they still need to answer for the problems.

• Like Like x 1
  3. InFlight

InFlight TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ehh...so if UPS loses it, b&h has to pay?

C'mon....

4. waday

Photos OK to edit
    If UPS loses it, it's B&H's responsibility from my perspective as the consumer. B&H needs to get me the product. Don't get me wrong, B&H can then demand payment from UPS, or I'm sure they have some arrangement or insurance worked out. But as a consumer, I don't worry about that.

Let me try a scenario. You go to a fast food joint. You go to the cashier, pay for your meal, and then stand by the side and wait. As the worker walks over with your tray of food to the counter, he trips and the food gets spilled on the ground. Do you care who spilled your food vs. who took your order? I don't, I just want the food I paid for.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. InFlight

InFlight TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Google "if ups loses my package, who pays" it will show ups does.
    B&H is not pizza hut.

6. InFlight

InFlight TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ups is fully responsible. They took possession and did not give it to you.
    You agreed to let ups to take it. You agreed ups is responsible.
    You agreed to all of this when you ordered it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. waday

Photos OK to edit
    Considering the haphazard responses, I think I'm going to withdraw from the conversation.

But, I will say the following, which is a quote directly from the UPS website, here: Claims | UPS Support - United States It was the first link under the web search "if ups loses my package, who pays". Take a look at the bold, underlined text, which is my emphasis. The SHIPPER is to start the claim, not the receiver. In this case, B&H is the shipper, not the consumer. So, the consumer should contact B&H to let them know they did not receive the package.

8. bribrius

bribrius Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Huh. How we get on this?

I had a book lost in shipping. Told seller and they filed a claim on dhs insurance (the shipper) and refunded me. Now i had a keyboard damaged in shipping. U.p.s notified seller and seller sent a new one. My guess is u.p.s insurance paid it.

Either way, not my issue though i am the buyer.

9. DarkShadow

DarkShadow Birdographer Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have never had a problem with B&H but did have a different experience recently when i ordered a few items at the same time.one item was a used battery and Travel charger and new lens an hood and grip for the same camera expedited shipping but they expedited 1 of 2 boxes so i received the least expensive item overnight but not box two that took two days in a second delivery which i found strange.Maybe used stuff is in a different warehouse or something but why was the most expensive stuff also suppose to be expedited never went out until late evening.No big deal but never had that happen before and bought used or refurbished before mixed with new stuff and always got it all together.

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    My last B&H purchase was in 2006 or 2007 if my memory serves me correctly. I ordered several Speedotron flash tubes, which were listed as in-stock. My credit card was charged, and I received one flash tube. The balance of my order was NOT shipped for quite some time (* four weeks or so, as I recall). I was peeved. $389 of the order (around $500 worth, since I was outfitting a fairly large purchase of used 102 flash heads that I bought with no flashtubes) was back-ordered, and my card had been charged. That was my _last_ time ordering from B&H Photo. Yeah...I'm the kind of customer that expects that In-Stock and Credit Card Charged means my merchandise damned well better be 1) In-Stock and 2)Shipped promptly once my credit card has been charged.

I am the kind of customer that holds a grudge, one might say. When you charge me, send me one-sixth of my order, then make me wait a month while using my money...I get pi$$ed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I love Amazon shipping and convenience but I check other places first and only order from Amazon if there is a significant difference in price or availability. I don’t like the way Amazon is becoming so big and eliminating all competition. Once they’re the only game in town, their cheap prices and fast shipping will go away and we’ll all be screwed. For photo equipment I check Adorama, Best Buy, Cameta then B&H in that order. I’ve had excellent experiences with Adorama for both new and used purchases so they are my go to.

I don’t think they’re allowed to charge you until the item is shipped. Not sure when that regulation went into effect. I’ve noticed that some companies will create a shipping label so they can charge you but the item doesn’t get to the shipper for several days after that.

12. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Shipping issue is getting worst nowadays. It is simply because expectations are different from the past. If I order something, it better be here in 2 days or I will be mad (First world problem because millions and millions of people out there do not even have the luxury to worry about this problem, they simply don't).

But based on what OP said, this does not appear to be a shipping issue. It seems to be B&H was not able to fulfill the entire order in one shot. Instead they choose to fulfill them once they have them in stock. I think it is a common practice that business sell stuff they do not have them on hand but they are on their way especially for online and mail order company. And by fulfilling partial order, it lower the chance of buyer cancelling the entire order even if it mean lower profit margins (paid more shipping cost).

In the past, it wasn't a big issue simply because when people order something from a mail order business, it usually take awhile for it to arrive. Even for online order, usually a week is expected in general for me who live in the midwest. (min. 3 days ground shipping from east coast and 4 days ground shipping from the west. And seller usually take one to two day to ship stuff out). But nobody complaint back then. And seller usually offer expedited shipping like ship out on the same day for a small cost and buyer need to pay more for next and 2nd day shipping).

• Useful Useful x 1