I think I have hard water and it messed up some of my negatives

I haven't tried the Palmolive trick yet, but I've heard that it works pretty well. The only thing I ever heard about it was to be careful of how the dyes might affect the film. I bought a small bottle of clear Dawn to test it out and I'll try it with my next roll.
One or two drops per 1/2 liter of water for 30 sec. there is no problem with dyes. Currently I am using detergent for washing floors :))) which is pink and no problems. Actually 1 min wash in that helps to remove pink dye from Tmax films. But no TX :(. I am using it as it creates much less foam than Palmolive. No water spots at all.

I haven't tried the Palmolive trick yet, but I've heard that it works pretty well. The only thing I ever heard about it was to be careful of how the dyes might affect the film. I bought a small bottle of clear Dawn to test it out and I'll try it with my next roll.

For a scanner, I use the Canon CanoScan 8800, which goes for something between $150-170. There is a newer model, the 9000, and it's supposed to be better than the 8800 at certain things which I of course can't remember right now. At any rate, I'm quite happy with my CanoScan.

Does it come with the plastic mount things to hold your film while scanning them? I know the Epson mentioned above does and I found one I am watching on eBay that hopefully I can grab at a low price.

One or two drops per 1/2 liter of water for 30 sec. there is no problem with dyes. Currently I am using detergent for washing floors :))) which is pink and no problems. Actually 1 min wash in that helps to remove pink dye from Tmax films. But no TX :(. I am using it as it creates much less foam than Palmolive. No water spots at all.

I definitely need to try this out then. Sounds promising!

For a scanner, I use the Canon CanoScan 8800, which goes for something between $150-170. There is a newer model, the 9000, and it's supposed to be better than the 8800 at certain things which I of course can't remember right now. At any rate, I'm quite happy with my CanoScan.

Does it come with the plastic mount things to hold your film while scanning them? I know the Epson mentioned above does and I found one I am watching on eBay that hopefully I can grab at a low price.

Yes, it comes with holders for both 35mm and 120.

Sounds like the normal water-spots produced from washing film without a wetting agent. You need to add a drop or two (although if you want some serious fun, toss the whole bottle into the town fountain) of Photoflo. This provides a 'slippery' surface so that the water slides off and doesn't dry in place causing spots.

Yes, it's a huge pain in the sitmedownupon trying to load 120 onto a Patterson reel!

LOL saw a fountain yesterday in just that condition.

Yes, it's a huge pain in the sitmedownupon trying to load 120 onto a Patterson reel!
Eh... Like with everything one need a bit of exercise and experience. And is worth to gain this experience as Patterson System 4 and similar other tanks have some advantages over steel tanks.

One quick question I'd like to also ask, for future reference, is it bad to touch the film while loading it into a Paterson tank? I washed my hands thoroughly before loading the film onto the reel, but I did touch certain bits of the film that I don't think i should have. I don't see any thumbprints or marks from my fingers in the negatives (I haven't scanned them yet), but I am wondering if this is something I should avoid doing?

When you're developing, the first and last few inches of your film don't actually contain any pictures so it's no big deal to touch those parts.

But you can never be too safe, and I'd recommend getting into the healthy habit of only ever touching your negative by the perforations. It'll become second nature very fast :)

If you're still a little clumsy and your hands tend to slip, I'd recommend washing your hands with Ivory two or three times right before you get to your film. It's a crappy soap, and it turns your skin into sand paper in the long run, but it'll give you a few minutes of squeaky-clean hands ;)

But otherwise, as everyone above said, do not touch the actual picture part of your negatives, even when your film is developed, fixed and dried. I've had several ruined that way, and it's not fun to know it was so easily preventable.
If you accidentally grab them while printing, a fingerprint on the plastic side can still be rubbed off, but the emulsion side would be pretty much ruined.

There's not that many troubleshooting options for darkroom problems. Once something is done, it's most often permanent. So especially with film, safety and prevention are your best bet.

If you're still a little clumsy and your hands tend to slip, I'd recommend washing your hands with Ivory two or three times right before you get to your film. It's a crappy soap, and it turns your skin into sand paper in the long run, but it'll give you a few minutes of squeaky-clean hands ;)
The absolute best soap I've ever used is Boraxo, the red one - "heavy duty", I think.

I get my hands pretty nasty at work, and this stuff makes my hands look like I have a desk job, lol. It doesn't dry your skin out either. You can get a 5lb box of it on Amazon for like $10 (it's a powdered soap).

I get my hands pretty nasty at work, and this stuff makes my hands look like I have a desk job, lol. It doesn't dry your skin out either. You can get a 5lb box of it on Amazon for like $10 (it's a powdered soap).

Sounds like good stuff :D
I bought a 12-pack of ivory two years ago and am still trying to turn it oil-sucking properties into something positive :p

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For loading practice, use a developed & uncut roll; keep loading it in the light until you feel comfortable, then with your eyes closed. I used a "scrap" roll (35mm) when I was starting, but I wouldn't sacrifice a roll of 120.

The absolute best soap I've ever used is Boraxo, the red one - "heavy duty", I think.

Or use this:
20 Mule Team Borax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is even softer on hands, with less scrubbing action, good enough if you don't get hands too dirty. And is good for photography to. I get my in my grocery store, laundry section for $6 per 2 kg. (4.2lb).

Most reactions

Back