I think some of us need to relax a little...

Bitter and Derrel........do you guys own the rights to that photo?:sexywink:
You must be one of the some of us that needs to relax a little.

Oh snap! And while we're on the subject, my Cousin's Great Aunt's Uncle's Daughter's girlfriend ask me to shoot a wedding tomorrow with my xt...............................................:lol:

Bitter and Derrel........do you guys own the rights to that photo?:sexywink:

Oh snap! And while we're on the subject, my Cousin's Great Aunt's Uncle's Daughter's girlfriend ask me to shoot a wedding tomorrow with my xt...............................................:lol:
You should totally do it. It's a once in a life time opportunity for you.

[h=2]I think some of us need to relax a little...[/h]
What the FiretrUCK are you talkin' bout Willis?

Knowledge is power and I think too many are afraid to give that up. I think too many of us, probably more than would admit it, think that someday, they are going to "turn pro" and end up making a living w/ their lens. I've been in that number myself at one time or another. The problem is that we fear that if we give up too many secrets, then others are going to interfere with that dream and make up increase our own ability. Far too often, when others say that it's impossible and much too hard for the beginner, what we are really saying is that we are afraid that they may outshine us.
I disagree, to a point. I think what John is referring to and what you just stated are two different subject matters or at least, two different mindsets. If you're emotionally fragile, talently challenged, have an inferiority complex, thinned skinned, locked in a basement, lack social grace, frequent Ken Rockwell's website, suffer from PMS, consider Red Lobster good seafood, are a conspiracy theorist or dip your french fries in mayonaise...... I'll agree.

OTOH, I think it is far more accurate to say that "these persons" that try to wake up "those persons" to reality are actually performing a community service. Granted the methods vary from person to person. Whereas, one may offer attendence to the school of hard knocks, another may use gentle guidance and yet another may only ask more questions in order for the OP answer their own question. As I can only speak for myself, the passing on of information or paying it forward is rewarding. That doesn't mean that some days the fuse is short, especially when abosolutely no effort has been put forth by the OP. That's usually when the short hairs on the back of your neck stand up straight.

I can see what John is saying and he has a very valid point and I have some agreement with it. However, I think it should be a case by case issue rather than a blanket policy.

<< edited out really tasteless comments >>

You should totally do it. It's a once in a life time opportunity for you.

Just found out it's an outdoor formal event, at midnight around a bonfire with no flash allowed, everyone is to dress in black. Will this be difficult? :lol:

[... I think it should be a case by case issue rather than a blanket policy.
Abso-friggin'-lutely! What I was trying to articulate was my belief that when providing guidance was that responses need to be carefully thought out. There is no blanket answer!

Can I apply for the job of delegated abuser?

I mean, assuming Derrel isn't applying... I think I'm pretty good, but I know when I'm outclassed.

:lol:

I am new here. I've been reading threads and looking at the pics and c & c that's given. My first post I was warned that some members here can be very judgemental and I would need a think skin. I can understand how some of the veterans (professionals) here would get tired of the "I just got a DSLR and am going to shoot my first wedding tomorrow" threads. I will say I admire everyone's work and talent. I also admire the newbies that are brave enough to post photos....their ambition. I'm not so brave. Anyhoo, thanks for the tips, sharing your knowledge and the occasional laugh.

I am new here. I've been reading threads and looking at the pics and c & c that's given. My first post I was warned that some members here can be very judgemental and I would need a think skin. I can understand how some of the veterans (professionals) here would get tired of the "I just got a DSLR and am going to shoot my first wedding tomorrow" threads. I will say I admire everyone's work and talent. I also admire the newbies that are brave enough to post photos....their ambition. I'm not so brave. Anyhoo, thanks for the tips, sharing your knowledge and the occasional laugh.

Hey there Emeryson...not all of us "veterans" are "professionals", some of us are just as old as dirt and have been using a little black box with a glass thingee on the front since - well you really don't want to know...:lol:

WesternGuy

I admire everyone work, pictures and efforts to be good photographer. I begin my adventure with photography. I like especially pictures of people.

Just found out it's an outdoor formal event, at midnight around a bonfire with no flash allowed, everyone is to dress in black. Will this be difficult? :lol:

stupidme2.gif

I agree Tiredon. If someone is taking photos and needs advice then it is our duty as photographers to assist and guide,
There's no forking duty involved. What happened to the days of people just being polite and looking around before they enter the room and start yelling what they want?

Knowledge is power and I think too many are afraid to give that up. I think too many of us, probably more than would admit it, think that someday, they are going to "turn pro" and end up making a living w/ their lens. I've been in that number myself at one time or another. The problem is that we fear that if we give up too many secrets, then others are going to interfere with that dream and make up increase our own ability. Far too often, when others say that it's impossible and much too hard for the beginner, what we are really saying is that we are afraid that they may outshine us.

Since I don't make any significant money from photography, won't ever and don't care to, my irritation doesn't come from that.
If someone says I'm here to learn, this is what I have, this is what I can do, what do you think, then I'm absolutely willing to say whatever I can but when someone kicks open the door and announces that they want service and help now I bridle.
My response is incited by the absolute arrogance and stupidity of people who assume that just because they can buy some tools that, with an absolute minimum of knowledge and effort, that they can be a 'master'. Those characteristics, combined with the unwillingness to do even the work of reading the existing threads on the same topic, make them the absolute epitome of everything I detest in beginners.

<< edited out really tasteless comments >>

What a shame.

Hey there Emeryson...not all of us "veterans" are "professionals", some of us are just as old as dirt and have been using a little black box with a glass thingee on the front since - well you really don't want to know...:lol:

WesternGuy

That old, eh. ;)

All I'll say is that its not a TPF unique thing - it happens in mostly any larger forum society with an open policy on content with regard to photography subjects. Weddings are just a point rather like canon VS nikon or LCDs - are they really just a fad from poin...no wait sorry not LCD I mean video - LCD are happily accepted now ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back