I think some of us need to relax a little...

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let me preface this post by saying that I DEFINITELY include myself among those to whom I refer in this post.

It seems to me that the "I just got a DSLR and am going to shoot my first wedding tomorrow" posts have been a little heavier than usual in the last few months. As well, there have been a number of threads by members new to the forum asking for information on shooting weddings for friends because said friend has NO OTHER OPTION, or people who are considering/interested in photography as a career, but don't yet know enough about it to make a reasoned decision.

Some of us have been treating these two groups in the same manner, when they are most definitely NOT THE SAME. Someone who has a camera and offers to shoot a friend's wedding because they simply have no other option and then seeks advice is NOT in the same category as the "Facebook Fauxtographers" that have become so prevelant. Likewise, someone who is interested and seeking information on a potential career in photography is NOT the same as someone who has three different shoots booked and is asking for information on "what are the best settings".

I think those of us who respond to these posts need to really evaluate the poster's intention and respond appropriately. Giving someone guidance to help them save a friend's wedding is a good thing. Suggesting sources of information for someone who thinks they want to be a photo-journalist is a good thing. Likewise, dissuading the "I just got my DSLR yesterday and have a wedding booked tomorrow" is a good thing.

In short, let's all take a deep breath before we jump down the throats of the newbies. Granted, it sometimes it is deserved, even necessary, but lately, I think maybe we've gone a little overboard.

~John

Very well said.

voice of reason

as for said people posting said things, i would recommend they calm down about booking such things w.o knowledge

tysir, for being nice

Let me preface this post by saying that I DEFINITELY include myself among those to whom I refer in this post. It seems to me that the "I just got a DSLR and am going to shoot my first wedding tomorrow" posts have been a little heavier than usual in the last few months. As well, there have been a number of threads by members new to the forum asking for information on shooting weddings for friends because said friend has NO OTHER OPTION, or people who are considering/interested in photography as a career, but don't yet know enough about it to make a reasoned decision. Some of us have been treating these two groups in the same manner, when they are most definitely NOT THE SAME. Someone who has a camera and offers to shoot a friend's wedding because they simply have no other option and then seeks advice is NOT in the same category as the "Facebook Fauxtographers" that have become so prevelant. Likewise, someone who is interested and seeking information on a potential career in photography is NOT the same as someone who has three different shoots booked and is asking for information on "what are the best settings".I think those of us who respond to these posts need to really evaluate the poster's intention and respond appropriately. Giving someone guidance to help them save a friend's wedding is a good thing. Suggesting sources of information for someone who thinks they want to be a photo-journalist is a good thing. Likewise, dissuading the "I just got my DSLR yesterday and have a wedding booked tomorrow" is a good thing.In short, let's all take a deep breath before we jump down the throats of the newbies. Granted, it sometimes it is deserved, even necessary, but lately, I think maybe we've gone a little overboard.~John
ce140f25.png

Let me preface this post by saying that I DEFINITELY include myself among those to whom I refer in this post. It seems to me that the "I just got a DSLR and am going to shoot my first wedding tomorrow" posts have been a little heavier than usual in the last few months. As well, there have been a number of threads by members new to the forum asking for information on shooting weddings for friends because said friend has NO OTHER OPTION, or people who are considering/interested in photography as a career, but don't yet know enough about it to make a reasoned decision. Some of us have been treating these two groups in the same manner, when they are most definitely NOT THE SAME. Someone who has a camera and offers to shoot a friend's wedding because they simply have no other option and then seeks advice is NOT in the same category as the "Facebook Fauxtographers" that have become so prevelant. Likewise, someone who is interested and seeking information on a potential career in photography is NOT the same as someone who has three different shoots booked and is asking for information on "what are the best settings".I think those of us who respond to these posts need to really evaluate the poster's intention and respond appropriately. Giving someone guidance to help them save a friend's wedding is a good thing. Suggesting sources of information for someone who thinks they want to be a photo-journalist is a good thing. Likewise, dissuading the "I just got my DSLR yesterday and have a wedding booked tomorrow" is a good thing.In short, let's all take a deep breath before we jump down the throats of the newbies. Granted, it sometimes it is deserved, even necessary, but lately, I think maybe we've gone a little overboard.~John
ce140f25.png

Nice shot Bitter, but it really needs to have more saturation and some cool effects to be considered worthy of the Facebook Fauxtographer level shots people love so much...something like this is more what people expect...
137915295.jpg

Nice shot Bitter, but it really needs to have more saturation and some cool effects to be considered worthy of the Facebook Fauxtographer level shots people love so much...something like this is more what people expect...

Oh snap, there you are! lol

tirediron, I think you make a lot of good points and you comments are well said, my frustration,however, lies more with those who post a Flickr link that has 15 to 20 images posted on it and they want, or expect, people to tell them which one, or ones, they like best - or which ones they should enter in a contest :thumbdown:. Who among us has the time to "review and critique" that number of images - 4 or 5 maybe, if they are posted on the forum, and, I, for one, do not like to follow links because of potential virus problems. So, if I am hard on these types on occasion then I guess that is just me - don't know...as far as the folks you are commenting on, I would definitely agree that we do have to be a little more polite from time to time (and I try), but then I would suggest that sometimes they don't have to take themselves and our responses so seriously - hopefully they are never meant as a personal attack, but as a definite attempt to be helpful. :thumbup:

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I agree Tiredon. If someone is taking photos and needs advice then it is our duty as photographers to assist and guide, not to disuade and kick in the dirt. We should be encouraging people in their photography pursuits and helping them improve, not scaring them away. What happened to the days of the masters teaching the student their craft?

Instead of telling people they're not good enough, we should be saying, "Don't panic, here are a few tips which should get you through the day. You can do it".

There can be no better feeling than for someone to ask you for advice, them taking your advice and coming back with some great photos and gratitude for your help. If I came here for some guidance and was refused, causing me to end up with cr*p I'd think, "Great. Thanks a bunch you unhelpful **n*!"

Last edited:
Wholeheartedly agree that there's a time when tough love is necessary ;)

ce140f25.png

137915295.jpg

i lol'd. it was painful.

I've been around this forum for a while now, and I've seen this whole discussion come full circle numerous times. Photography is still one of those careers that don't require a professional license or certification of any kind, and thus, it tends to attract many folks who are looking for career change and a lure of easy money. I've seen so many folks on here practically get to the point of having a myocardial infarction just at the mere sight of the topic "shooting my first wedding" when really, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I think many have a tad too much narcissism here and think that somehow, a newb on the other side of the world is going to collapse the photographic economic world by shooting a free or cheap wedding in Podunk USA and also think that no one should even consider such an undertaking without the express written permission of every mod on this site. Ya know, at the end of the day, it's a picture, not a heart transplant. Is it really going to cause that much of a world wide ripple if Joe Schmoe shoots a wedding w/ little to no experience? Probably not. Is it suddenly going to bankrupt all of the "professional wedding photogs" who have paid w/ blood, sweat and tears to fight and scratch to get where we are? No. It really doesn't even make a blip on the radar screen. At the end of the day, all that matters is that bride/groom and photographer still are able to talk to each other at the end of the event. I know, "it's a once in a life time event". I know, "it makes us look bad if they suck". Who freakin cares. Do you know the poster above you personally? Do you even live in the same state? Probably not. So how does it really matter to you? Just give what advice you can and move on. Life's too short to get so worked up about an internet conversation. If Bride X and Groom Y have seen some work of photog Z and they like it, who among us should deter them from taking on a job? It's the duty of those who have been around to give pointers and maybe help them see somethings they may have not considered, but not beat them to a bloody pulp and make them think that the earth is suddenly going to change polarity due to a crappy wedding or portrait event. Take a deep breath. The sun will continue to rise in the East and set in the West tomorrow regardless of Joe Blow using a P&S to document a wedding, senior, maternity, X event.

Maybe we need designated "tough love" users to rough them up a bit, and we can do the old "good cop, bad cop" routine.

Knowledge is power and I think too many are afraid to give that up. I think too many of us, probably more than would admit it, think that someday, they are going to "turn pro" and end up making a living w/ their lens. I've been in that number myself at one time or another. The problem is that we fear that if we give up too many secrets, then others are going to interfere with that dream and make up increase our own ability. Far too often, when others say that it's impossible and much too hard for the beginner, what we are really saying is that we are afraid that they may outshine us.

Bitter and Derrel........do you guys own the rights to that photo?:sexywink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back