I WANT A DOG (Part II)

If you're really interested talk to the shelter about your trip and see if they can work something out. I just had a friend who adopted a dog right before they were going on a week vacation. The shelter allowed them to adopt the dog and then held him for them until they came back. I'm not sure if she paid additional money for boarding, but it worked out really well for them :)

Alison said:
If you're really interested talk to the shelter about your trip and see if they can work something out. I just had a friend who adopted a dog right before they were going on a week vacation. The shelter allowed them to adopt the dog and then held him for them until they came back. I'm not sure if she paid additional money for boarding, but it worked out really well for them :)

I already talked to the first shelter, and they said they couldn't hold a dog for that long....didn't find out from the second shelter though. At the moment...I think I'm liking the second dog better. Purely because she's not shy or fearful at all, and the first one is a good dog, but has to warm up to you. I'm sure he can grow out of it with proper socialization and training....but you never know. And for what I'm expecting out of a dog, the second one is probably a better choice for me.

Ok...so...I went to visit the first dog again, to get to know it a little better (it was the shelter lady's idea)...and...this is IM-FLIPPIN-POSSIBLE!!!!! I just don't know now! :lol: He acted a lot different than he acted the other day!
Today he was less shy, a lot more friendly and affectionate, but also had a lot more energy, and was a bit jumpy.

She let me take him out side in the front yard area alone, with him on a leash. Let me tell ya, I got quite the dog slobber bath. I walked him around, and also sat down and played with him. He was all over me for affection, and rolling over on the ground wanting belly rubs and stuff. :p

So...I think it's time to start a list of pros and cons for each dog!

Zack

Pros:
Perfect size
doesn't seem to shed much
gets along with other dogs
seems to get along with cats
shows no signs of aggression
Friendly and affectionate
Young (1.5-2.5 years)
Allows me to mess with paws, tail, ears, and teeth
the shelter already microchipped him

Cons:
Can be a bit shy and fearful at first
is unknown around children
might have a slight barking problem (he's learning it from him pen-mates)
might be a bit more energetic than I originally thought

Notes on Zack: The shelter lady told me that while I'm on vacation, she's going to send Zack to a foster home..a lady with two children and other dogs. Zack will get a lot of socialization during this time, and maybe even get some training in.

Speckles

Pros:
Very calm temperment
not jumpy
seems to do well on the leash
doesn't really join in on the barking
is known to do well with children
does well with dogs
shows no signs of aggression
good size (slightly bigger than Zack)
Young (1-3 years)
seems to have some slight training already

Cons:
is unknown around cats (will have to test)
has a slightly longer, thicker coat, that sheds a lot
The shelter doesn't microchip, extra cost (probably not a huge deal)

...I'll add to these lists I remember things, or as I learn new things.

Sounds like you have a tough decision to make here. Spend as much time with both of them and see how that goes or just wait and see which is still available when you get back from your trip. Are either one of them in risk of being euthanized? That may help you make your decision too.

I am sure you will pick the right one, lots of luck to you!

bytch_mynickname said:
Sounds like you have a tough decision to make here. Spend as much time with both of them and see how that goes or just wait and see which is still available when you get back from your trip. Are either one of them in risk of being euthanized? That may help you make your decision too.

I am sure you will pick the right one, lots of luck to you!

No risk of euthanization. Both are at no-kill shelters. :) I'm not even sure ANY of the shelters near me are kill shelters.

Most reactions

Back