I want a new flash...

B192734

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I want to goo out and get a fllash for my camera. I haven't ever used one, only the onboard pop up. I currently am using a Canon S5 IS, but also have a Canon Rebel (Non digital) that I was hoping it would work with as well. Any suggestions out there? What kind of brands are best for what I'm working with, and are there specific features that I should be looking for? Thanks for any insights everybody. Have a great rest of your day!

I would recommend one of the Canon EX Speedlites...Probably the 430EX. The 580EX is a better unit but much more expensive.
You might also consider an off-brand (but Canon dedicated) flash. Sigma makes a model called the 500 super (or something like that)...which should work just as well with your cameras.

You could get a non-dedicated flash with an auto setting...but the problem with those, is that you have to manually match the settings on the flash to the settings on the camera. These are much cheaper though.

The nice thing about the Sigmas is that they act as an optical slave. They're still about the same price as a 430EX though.

Most reactions

Back