I want to buy a dSLR+lens for outdoor portraits - equipment advice please

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I've always been interested in photography and have used dSLRs but never owned one. I'd like to buy one for a very specific primary purpose: To shoot outdoor portraits with models in daylight. I'd like recommendation on an affordable setup for this. This is a purely amateur endeavor.

So far I am looking at buying the body of a Nikon D5100, a 50mm or 85mm lens, and a good general purpose lens. Or would a telephoto lens be adequate for general purpose and portraits? I understand the lens that comes with the body isn't particularly good. Is this true? Feel free to make equipment suggestions. I'd like an affordable setup (under $1,000). I understand the lens is the most important piece.

I would also appreciate recommendations on books or guides to read about shooting models outdoors.

Thanks!

I'm only a newbie, but from what I could gather, you have figured it already out quite nicely.

You can get the D5100 (a) without lens (b) with 18-55mm [3x zoom] (c) with 18-110mm [6x zoom].

Personally I choose the 18-55mm because its a nice lightweight general purpose lens for pretty much anything. In certain configuration it apparently even can "compete with the best of them", I read yesterday from some poster here (specifically 24-50mm and on higher f-numbers).

In your shoes I would get the D5100 with 18-55mm VR DX as kit, and the 85mm VR DX as portrait lens.

While I'm not intimately familiar with the D5100, from what I've seen it is a very capable camera. I would get it with a kit lens for the added versatility and consider either one or both of the other two you mentioned. The 50mm in either 1.4 or 1.8 versions would be good groups or full body shoots where you want some of the background (remember, that will act like a 75mm on your DX body) and the 85 in either 1.4 or 1.8 which will act like a 130mm would be good for bust shots. Check out Craig's List for the lenses to save money.

Don't forget lighting however. Just because you want to work outside does NOT mean that you don't need lighting. At a minimum you'll need one good speedlight and a large reflector (as well as remote triggers and a few other odds & ends).

I would pass on the 85/3.5. It's primarily a macro lens and, should you ever decide to move to FX, will not work. And Nikon doesn't even make an 18-110.

I would go for the D5100 with the 18-55, and pick up the 50mm F/1.8G and Sigma 70-200/2.8II. If you're looking to save weight and size, though, I would go with the 85/1.8 D or G version. You won't get much reach on that one, though.

Mark

Mamiya 645af and a small ton of portra 160. Put their backs to the sun, meter for the shadows, and shoot wide open. Instant amazing.

I like 85mm and up outdoors as long as you have the room.

180mm f2.8 ais
7300098592_fdec1a16a7_c.jpg

85mm f1.4 af-d
7326125140_a3508d81ae_c.jpg

Mamiya 645af and a small ton of portra 160. Put their backs to the sun, meter for the shadows, and shoot wide open. Instant amazing.
Are there any example shots?

I would pass on the 85/3.5. It's primarily a macro lens and, should you ever decide to move to FX, will not work. And Nikon doesn't even make an 18-110.

I would go for the D5100 with the 18-55, and pick up the 50mm F/1.8G and Sigma 70-200/2.8II. If you're looking to save weight and size, though, I would go with the 85/1.8 D or G version. You won't get much reach on that one, though.

Mark
Would the 50mm allow me to take shots like the one below?

180mm f2.8 ais
I love the 180mm shot. This is what I want to do. Would the 70-200mm allow me to take anything close to this?

While I'm not intimately familiar with the D5100, from what I've seen it is a very capable camera. I would get it with a kit lens for the added versatility and consider either one or both of the other two you mentioned. The 50mm in either 1.4 or 1.8 versions would be good groups or full body shoots where you want some of the background (remember, that will act like a 75mm on your DX body) and the 85 in either 1.4 or 1.8 which will act like a 130mm would be good for bust shots. Check out Craig's List for the lenses to save money.

Don't forget lighting however. Just because you want to work outside does NOT mean that you don't need lighting. At a minimum you'll need one good speedlight and a large reflector (as well as remote triggers and a few other odds & ends).
Thanks, I am open to buying used. I will check CL. To be honest, I am too much of an amateur to also buying lighting so I probably won't at this stage. I've been using photoshop etc for years so that will help with editing.

180mm f2.8 ais

85mm f1.4 af-d
7326125140_a3508d81ae_c.jpg

The kiddo one looks good and adorable.

Nikon D5100 + Nikon 50mm 1.8G = $870~

Nikon D5100 + Nikon 85mm 1.8G = $1150~

Nikon D5100 + Nikon 50mm 1.8G = $870~

Nikon D5100 + Nikon 85mm 1.8G = $1150~
You have a nice setup in your sig. Do you have a photo gallery I can look at, labeled with the different lenses?

General question: Are there any site where I can look at shots sorted by LENS?

Wow Mamiya shots are amazing! This is absolutely what I want to do. So superb.

But are we talking about a $2,000 lens?

Wouldn't the 50 or 85mm give similar results?

You can pick up a Mamiya kit for only like $700 or so, with an 80mm (what those were shot with) and a film back.

This is spendy for an AFD kit, and the AF kits are almost half this, but are the exact same thing sans digital back compatibility: Used Mamiya 645-AFD Value Pack Kit 211122 B&H Photo Video

Most reactions

New Topics

Back