What's new

I want to buy a dSLR... No BS what takes the best picture Canon EOST1i or Nikon D5000

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol i have heard that before. is it the best camera? no. but i have learned so much with it. and i have already started saving for a new camera (d700) and i figure that by the time i feel i have outgrown the d40, i will have the money for the d700. but it makes no sense to get something that is pro-quality when you don't know how to use it.
I was just kidding man. :) The D40 is a good camera.

As for "pro quality" and not being able to learn how to use it... I never understood that line of thought. The D700 has the same settings as the D40 (shutter speed, ISO, aperture, EV compensation, etc.). The D700 is more robust and of a better build quality, but functionally it isn't all that different than your D40. There's no reason to learn on a lesser body as if you would have a harder time learning on a D700. If anything, you should buy a lesser body if not you're sure you're going to stick with photography. Otherwise, if you can afford it, buy the best Nikon makes and grow into the body.
 
i see where you're coming from. but to me the d700, tho A LOT more money than the d40, goes more in depth and can be overwhelming to someone learning photography. I was a little intimidated by just the d40 lol. i guess buying the best camera out there for your first camera doesnt set well with me because i wasnt 100% sure if i was going to be into photography as much as i am now. but i do understand where you're coming from.
 
D5000 is a nice camera with quite a bit more ability than the D3000, but if you don't need its features (higher ISO ability, movie mode, more scenes, etc) then get the D3000.
 
D5000 is a nice camera with quite a bit more ability than the D3000, but if you don't need its features (higher ISO ability, movie mode, more scenes, etc) then get the D3000.

The price is nearly the same if I get it from that site, and I keep thinking the lack of live view on the 3000 is going to make me sad. lol

and video would be nice :)
 
This D5000 is like haunting me.. but I can't justify spending that much! UGH :(


How much money do you have tied up in your current automobile? or your current television set and associated "boxes"? Or perhaps in purses, or high-tech tennis shoes? Everything is relative, as they say.

I once had a somewhat close friend ask me, "How can you afford all these fancy cameras and lenses, " and I said to him, "you've seen the car I drive, right?"

As to the direcvt comparison of the T1i vs the D5000, the Cameralabs side-by-side tests are showing the color depth advantage that Nikon enjoys over most somewhat competing Canon cameras Canon EOS 500D / Rebel T1i review: High ISO Noise results, EOS 500D / T1i vs D5000 vs E-620 | Cameralabs

The megapixel marketing Canon loves so much masks the fact that in almost all segments, Nikon can get deeper color depth by using fewer, and also LARGER pixels. So, a good example of the DXO Mark disparity I pointed out shows up in the Cameralabs side-by-side photographic comparison between the T1i, Nikon D500, and the Olympus E620. Megapixels are nice, and higher MP counts SOUND really good, but what Nikon and Canon have done with their cameras show a slightly different approach to sensor design and overall imaging philosophy. Nikon is going for larger pixel size and a higher per-pixel color depth and it could be argued a higher "per-pixel" image quality than Canon is, especially with regard to noise levels at elevated ISO settings,and with greater color depth. 12 million pixels is a very good compromise between MP count and MP size and overall image performance with all types of lenses.

As far as the lens and AF motor issues: the Nikon lenses a beginner wants and can usually afford all have focus motors in the len. The older screw-drive lenses are for the most part, the kinds of equipment that only "serious" Nikon users will even want to buy, or be able to afford. It's funny how people talk about not being able to spend much on a camera that will be used to document some of the absolutely most-precious and lasting memories, of the birth and rearing of a new baby. I have great photo gear, but I don't buy fancy cars...
 
Your welcome. I'm pretty new to all of the slr's myself...and I too found that everything was 50-50 that's why I was so torn between the 2. But after everything I've found oe heard---i've been told that yes the canon has advantage of having cheaper lense of same quilities..but nikon tends to have over all best pic quality. But I think its mostly personal preferences, feel, comfort and knowing how to use what u have. I've seen some amazing pictures used by profesionals with both cameras. Hard decision! Lol
 
they (adorama.com) only offer a 90 day limited warranty on refurbished. I was considering buying my D5000 from there until i read that... im afraid being refurbished itd go bad after the warranty is up. But i'd consider it for the price difference. I think mostly it comes down to what you can afford as well... the D5000 is a little more. I was considering the Canon XSi (450) vs Nikon D3000 at first because there reasonably priced. and newegg.com has both of them at good prices. But you can also find them else where with kits.

Also this site may help you. Its helped me a ton... it compares cameras. Up to 4 at a time.
Compare cameras

http://www.adorama.com/
 
they (adorama.com) only offer a 90 day limited warranty on refurbished. I was considering buying my D5000 from there until i read that... im afraid being refurbished itd go bad after the warranty is up. But i'd consider it for the price difference. I think mostly it comes down to what you can afford as well... the D5000 is a little more. I was considering the Canon XSi (450) vs Nikon D3000 at first because there reasonably priced. and newegg.com has both of them at good prices. But you can also find them else where with kits.

Also this site may help you. Its helped me a ton... it compares cameras. Up to 4 at a time.
Compare cameras

http://www.adorama.com/

I just double checked and its true, its a 90 day limited warranty on that one.. blah :( Now I have to consider that as well! lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom