I want to buy a dSLR... No BS what takes the best picture Canon EOST1i or Nikon D5000

Status
Not open for further replies.
REfurbished cameras are generally a safter bet than brand new cameras. They have been sent back to canon/nikon and been personally refitted with new sensor, shutter and such. Essentially they are like a new camera and since they are repaired by hand the chances of one having a production fault are very small indeed - as opposed to the rest of the cameras sold normally which are made in batches and only ever a few in each batch are checked.

they (adorama.com) only offer a 90 day limited warranty on refurbished.
Helen, the customer service rep that frequents the boards, recently posted that refurbs are 1 year now through Adorama. I don't know if that's just on Canon or if that's on all refurbs (I believe she posted it on the Canon forums but I could be mistaken).

Helen, the customer service rep that frequents the boards, recently posted that refurbs are 1 year now through Adorama. I don't know if that's just on Canon or if that's on all refurbs (I believe she posted it on the Canon forums but I could be mistaken).

On that one I posted and most of the others I brought up that were refurbished (not sure if I looked at canon's on there though) they said 90 day for the refurbs and all the new ones said 1 year. I will go look at canon's on there and see if I can figure that one out.

A refurbished canon I looked at also says 90 day warranty.

-Ill call and ask .. :) I hope so (that its 1 year) !!! :)

-Ill call and ask .. :) I hope so (that its 1 year) !!! :)

*fingers crossed* but you'd think they'd hurry up and update it on the site to boost sales so I'm leaning towards probably not..lol let us know!!

This debate makes about as much sense as debating which typewriter will write the best screenplay...

A refurbished canon I looked at also says 90 day warranty.

Since 1st May 2009 all Canon refurbs from Adorama come with a 12-month return-to-Adorama warranty; if it says 90 days, it is a typo - I'd be grateful if you could forward the SKU to me and I can get it changed on the website.

All other refurbs from Adorama carry a 90-day warranty.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if I can offer any additional information or support.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

http://helenoster.blogspot.com

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

REfurbished cameras are generally a safter bet than brand new cameras. They have been sent back to canon/nikon and been personally refitted with new sensor, shutter and such. Essentially they are like a new camera and since they are repaired by hand the chances of one having a production fault are very small indeed - as opposed to the rest of the cameras sold normally which are made in batches and only ever a few in each batch are checked.

That's not entirely true. The more hands on something gets and moves away from automation, the more chance for errors. That's also why it only has a 90 day warranty. ;)

I'd wait for the D7000, which has God mode, designed by Chase Jarvis. All of your pics will have that really cool fish-eye look where Heidi Klum is shredding a rail while a James Nachtway-esque orphan is in the background being posed by Ansel Adams - in HDR! And the Saturation goes to 11!

That's not entirely true. The more hands on something gets and moves away from automation, the more chance for errors. That's also why it only has a 90 day warranty. ;)

All refurbished units sold by Adorama Camera are factory refurbished by the manufacturer. A refurbished unit from Adorama may be an ex-store demo, possibly used in field tests or sales displays, or it may have been ordered in error and returned to the retailer (who can't then sell it as 'new' so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment).

A refurb can also have simply been pulled from the production line if something appears faulty, or if it hasn't passed the final inspection. Most of the time it is a very minor issue that needs correcting, nevertheless, once it is pulled from the normal flow of production, it gets flagged as a refurbished model, so you may get a unit straight from the factory that has never been used.

A refurbished item will have been checked over by the manufacturer by hand, inspected very thoroughly, diagnosed, and calibrated by experienced technicians, and could therefore turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by a process of systematic quality control protocol (ie by random sampling as it comes off the conveyor belt).

The warranty that Adorama gives covers anything the manufacturer's warranty covers for a new unit, including shutter defects.

Wrong.

The camera was produced via automation already. It is double checked by a human, which unlike a machine can see defects. You do realize that automation produces flawed products all the time, right? That's why a certain percentage of the products are pulled from the assembly line and are inspected by humans. When a defective camera makes it to the shelf, it's usually one that slipped through the QC process and wasn't checked.

Wrong.

The camera was produced via automation already. It is double checked by a human, which unlike a machine can see defects. You do realize that automation produces flawed products all the time, right? That's why a certain percentage of the products are pulled from the assembly line and are inspected by humans. When a defective camera makes it to the shelf, it's usually one that slipped through the QC process and wasn't checked.

You're wrong, sir.
Automation is the reason why you don't see blacksmiths, or gunsmiths mass producing products anymore. Because the quality of one will not be the same as the one made before it, and just hope that that gunsmith isn't having a bad day and feeling lazy, to the point of overlooking everything.

It's also cheaper, but quality can be controlled much easier with automation, as they have but one set of standards, and if it doesn't fit the standards, it's then taken and repaired by, not so much a "skilled technician" as mentioned above, but probably some hood with his pants half way around his butt, and could care less about the company.

That's how it was at Asus for motherboard repair, and I can only imagine Canon is very similar. Also, you'd be surprised at how many of the "repaired" motherboards and video cards end up coming back for more repairs.

I've seen it first hand, I've seen the workers, and it's most likely safe to buy a refurbished product, but I'll always opt for the one that made the cut the first time, and the one that comes with a much longer warranty because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back