I want to make these better technically not in PP

acstewart85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these and I know they are not good but I want to know what to work on as far as shooting goes. Thanks!

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

Last edited:
Get the flash off the camea and modify the light (larger appearance).

The larger a light source is relative to the subject the softer the shadows are and the more natural the subject seems.

When you post photos put a blank line between each one.

When you say get the flash off the camera you mean don't use it, use ambient lighting right??? I was using my built in flash for these and it was pretty much dark out at the time with no street/security/natural lighting around.

I use flash lights or chicken lamps and a tripod. If the light is low I keep the shutter open a long time. If the shutter is open a long time a little light looks like the sun is shining on it.

When you say get the flash off the camera you mean don't use it, use ambient lighting right??? I was using my built in flash for these and it was pretty much dark out at the time with no street/security/natural lighting around.
No. I meant just what I said.

Get the flash off the camera.

That means you need at least a hot shoe type speedlight and a way to trigger it when it is not mounted on the hot shoe.

Exactly how you do that depends on the camera and speedlight you are using.

All light, is natural light.

The on camera flash is very limiting to be used artistically. It is only useful (and many would say it isn't at all useful) as a general flash if no other flash unit is available or for fill in. If you are going for this type of photography then either wait for day light or use a spotlight off the camera. A cheap setup can be made using a painter's spotlight (may be the same a chicken lamp) and a general spot light bulb, you can get these from Home Depot.

The pop-up flash is pretty small and directly on the lens axis. It makes the shadows appear rather dulll and uninteresting. You could try cutting a "tail" on a sheet of white typing paper and taping the tail to the pentaprism of your camera,and then rolling the paper out and around the front of the flash,and then taping the other end to the camera, where the first piece was taped down, thus creating a sport of paper "pipe", which will diffuse the flash and make it effective much lager when used at flower close-up distances. It'll look better than the undiffused flash ion floral closeups, and this costs like 3 cents for the sheet of typing paper and two pieces of cellophane tape.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back