I was high.

I agree that first shot is fabulous but it is a shame you sacrificed the corners of the buildings @ the bottom in favour of more sky @ the top.

+1

Still amazing shot though:thumbup:

Stunning image bitter, nice job.

Are those car streaks in that little square right by the building?

As far as sacrificing corners...It was a function of the wide angle lens including the building that I was on.

The flip side to people wanting more than they can see in the photo, they don't know what additional possible distracting elements also become included. You have to clip somewhere.

BigTwink, if you are talking about the little square with the fountain, and the red streaks, no, that is lighting in that park.

indeedies, I am sure there is a plug-in to do this, but it's easy enough. You can either extend your canvas (x)pixels and fill with color, or select all, contract selection (x) pixels, inverse selection, fill with color.

4593678181_900fedd89b_o.jpg

I love the geometry of the building blocks. They come out beautifully.

Great, great shot. What kind of tripod did you use or did you drill the camera into the building? I cannot imagine how to achieve such sharpness with a 30 second exposure, outside on the 46th floor.

What's the secret? :D

I have a cheap, heavy ProMaster tripod. People were talking about the building swaying. I didn't feel it, or see it (by lining up a part of the building to something in the distance). *shrugs* It wasn't that windy up there actually.

The biggest thing I don't like is the "glow" of the lights. Maybe stopping up to f/8 might have helped this?
The Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame is really bad, seen middle left of the tower.
When I go home, I'll post a 100% crop of the building. I am with all of you, being simply amazed at the sharpness.

I was also bracketing all my shots, just in case HDR would be the way to go here. I learned that the camera won't bracket past 30seconds. That means if the normal exposure bracket is 30 seconds, so will the over exposure bracket. :er: Notes for next chance at this, bring the f/stop down a bit, and raise the ISO a bit.

I was also bracketing all my shots, just in case HDR would be the way to go here. I learned that the camera won't bracket past 30seconds. That means if the normal exposure bracket is 30 seconds, so will the over exposure bracket. :er: Notes for next chance at this, bring the f/stop down a bit, and raise the ISO a bit.

Would using bulb mode have been able to get you the exposures? Remote would be needed for sure, but the last time I used bulb, I remember there being a counter going.

If you are doing -2,0,+2 for brackets and your 0 = 30 seconds, then 2 stops over exposure means 120 seconds.

The biggest thing I don't like is the "glow" of the lights. Maybe stopping up to f/8 might have helped this?

You could use one of those brackets as a seperate layer in photoshop and then mask out the glows you don't like for the different exposure from the layer down below.

...People were talking about the building swaying. I didn't feel it, or see it (by lining up a part of the building to something in the distance). *shrugs* It wasn't that windy up there actually.

That's what I was wondering. On the 46th floor you "should" experience some swaying (obviously not).

Here in Miami I can't even shoot on a 50ft high bridge for longer than 1/60 of a second without getting soft images - the wind is terrible.

I shot from the rooftop of a 25 floor building and I cannot imagine doing that at night with the wind blowing like it was. It's impossible here to wait for "no" wind. It's always windy, especially when you are that high. :mrgreen:

Yeah, it could have helped - I'm not sure though.

I'd love to see the 100% crop :thumbup:

Great work!

Beautiful. Perfect example of why photography is so fun! Thanks, Bitter =)

Looks awesome Bitter!

My question: How did you get access to the 46th floor? Aren't the top 20 or so floors all business-only? Could have sworn there was an accounting firm or something up there...

And this makes me want to get access to the upper levels of the KeyBank tower to get some shots of the Rock Hall and Browns stadium.

My dad works at AT&T and back in the day he used to sit at the top of the Ohio Bell building overlooking the stadium and get some sweet shots of the Indians while they played. Wish I had some of those pictures.

A few of us are talking about approaching Key Bank, to see what we can get out of them. It will be a little more difficult to get access to several suites to take advantage of the view.

How did I get up there? A combination of secret handshakes, friends with connections in high places, and some cash. :sexywink:

You can get access to the observation level, at least, via the "Hidden Cleveland" tours. It's rough shootin' through glass though.

The AT&T building would be a cool vantage point.

A few of us are talking about approaching Key Bank, to see what we can get out of them. It will be a little more difficult to get access to several suites to take advantage of the view.

How did I get up there? A combination of secret handshakes, friends with connections in high places, and some cash. :sexywink:

You can get access to the observation level, at least, via the "Hidden Cleveland" tours. It's rough shootin' through glass though.

The AT&T building would be a cool vantage point.

Might still be able to get access too. My dad's been there for around 39 years (will be 40 this summer I think) and stubbornly refuses to retire so there's still a chance of getting access. I thought about trying to get it again while an Indians game is being played...but this season I really don't see the need of taking pictures of them anyway lol

Once again congrats on the awesome picture. Whatever combination was required I'd say it was definitely worthwhile!

Wow, that's nice!

I should find a way to do that in my city. I office on the 27th floor, hmmm maybe I'll come back down some night

Very cool shot... :thumbup:
Memories of home (I really miss Cap'n Franks Pier.).

And this reminds me.... back in the mid/late 80's, my dad worked in the Federal Building, and he got me up on the roof during an evening practice session of the Budweiser 500 at Burke Lakefront airport. I got a couple of sweet shots from up there. Now, to remember where they went......

Most reactions

Back