I Will Steal Your Photos

As I understand it you file a registration for a work or number of existing works. In an example I read, a photographer filed 600 images on the one CD. It was not necessary to file negatives or raws, but there is some requried documentation. It will not cover future works.

Azuth said:
As I understand it you file a registration for a work or number of existing works. In an example I read, a photographer filed 600 images on the one CD. It was not necessary to file negatives or raws, but there is some requried documentation. It will not cover future works.

That is absolutely correct. You can "bulk" copywrite items as a "book of work" and save a load of money, assuming you feel the need to register the work in the first place. This is similar to a musician copywriting an album full of work, as opposed to an individual song, etc.

Excellent point. There is a lot more to it then slapping a © on your work.

Basically my copyright law is that my photos are not that vulnerable. My commercial clients pay me well for the rights to the photos that I take. I will help with print and web issues etc, but the shots are their property. Editorial work is print only. In that case the paper pays me well for the rights. The photos are not mine. Anyone who wants to steal them feel free. Know that dealing with our illustrious publishers is a fate worse than death. Personal work; you can have it and you can put your name on it. I shoot my personal work for the love of it. Why should I care if someone wants to steal it? I have the satisfaction of knowing that I shot it. That is fully priceless.

As usual I may have deviated from the subject. Had to throw in my two cents on the topic. Apologies to Chase and the gang. I know they have heard this rant before.

yeah, it's good to know. it seems annoying that someone could just grab a pic you posted and use it for anything, like for their own profit. i just don't feel like getting my work formally copyrighted all the time to keep up with the collection I have :(

commercial copyright violation involving more than 10 copies and value over $2500 is a felony., also wether or not you register is, its still automatically copyrighted and protected. just the damages you can go after are less.

the difference here being commercial use and personal use.

Also, have a lo of fun trying to print a 72dpi picture 8x10 or bigger . its gonna look like crap and the color space is all messed up. You havent really thought through your idea very well.

Also there is nothing deceptive about putting the copyright smbol on your work. registered or not its still (one form or another) coprighted automatically. the whole point is you have fewer options to pursue.

Yes. I paid particularly close attention to a law that does not currently exist, and may never exist. If it ever does become a law, I'll start a new thread letting everyone know that they shouldn't bother registering photos with the U.S. Copyright Office.

In the meantime, You. Must. Register. Photos. If. You. Want. Protection.

It's not about lesser damages, or more difficult to file suit, or whatever. The USCO website explicitly states that if your shxt is not registered, you have no legal recourse. End of story. I'm not trying to pick a fight here, or **** anyone off. Just letting you all know what the real deal is about that little symbol you're putting on your photos and websites.

max, why dont you take some pics from my website and use them on your own site. I will get my attorney buddy involved and well have some fun....

You should have nothing to worry about cause theres "pretty much nothing i can do "according to your post...

:lmao:

im just messin yo

As with most legal issues in the US, it has little to do with what anyone has done or what the law is, and a lot to do with how much you pay your lawyer.

www.copyright.gov

In the US you can register all of your unpublished photos for $30. This still doesn't mean that people can't steal them, and if they do, you are the one who has to hire a lawyer to get them to pay up.

If Bill Gates can't keep the entire country of China, and much of the rest of the world, from running on pirated Windows, what chance do I really have to protect my work 100% if someone is determined to use my photos without permission? I do my best by posting only low res versions, and trying to control the distibution of the prints and high res files.

Protecting photos from being stolen is like using traffic cameras to make the streets safer....

HA!!! You cant!!

Unless you never publish your photos.
The concept of copyright laws is not meant to prevent, but to PUNISH those who do it. The concept of laws is to establish order, and those who violate that order is punish when/if caught.
Laws DO NOT prevent crime, and they NEVER WILL!!!

Gun Control does not prevent gun related death...
GN laws are there to PUNISH the offenders!!!

Copyright laws are established because someone knows that the laws established will be violated, and thus has to have an enforcement system put into place. The link I provided is showing coming law that may or may not pass. But, if you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that someone has stolen your original work, the copyright laws of the 1970's do provide recourse. Registered or not...

Why?? Because it saves the thief the trouble of haveing to take the photo themselves, and they want the credit...

Why does any thief work the way they do??

Most reactions

Back